Maximum number of hosts

...on a broadcast segment??? I cant seem to find Cisco's recommendation concerning this, -is it around

500 users?

/T

Reply to
towli
Loading thread data ...

Layer 3 router segments broadcast, and the number of the maximum hosts depends on subnet mask? therefore with /24 subnet mask, there can be 254 hosts...and more with smaller number of subnet.

Is that right? ^^;;

-Thomas going for CCNA. ^^;;

Reply to
Thomas75

Layer 3 router segments broadcast, and the number of the maximum hosts depends on subnet mask? therefore with /24 subnet mask, there can be 254 hosts...and more with smaller number of subnet.

Is that right? ^^;;

:) Yep - but that's not my point. I seem to remember that Cisco recommend not more than 500 hosts on a broadcast segment - that would be a /23 subnetmask, but i cant find this figure anywhere when googling....

Reply to
Towli

that number sounds familiar to me as well - although since this is tradeoff in cost of L3 vs simplicity of L2, the recommendation is likely to change over time as hardware capabilities change.

have a look around in the ref designs area:

formatting link

there is a limit for a collision domain size on Ethernet of 1024 (1023?) devices - which is based on the statistics of the collision backoff scheme for CSMA/CD.

Again - no one in there right mind would try to get close to either of those limits these days, since routing is so cheap.

Reply to
stephen

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.