cisco and telewest/virgin media

Hi,

Can anyone offer any advice for configuring a cisco router to use a Telewest connection? I have the router plugged into the modem but when i configure the details from a normal belkin router i can not see the outside world :(

Reply to
Kevin Wincott
Loading thread data ...

To aid in the accurace of this information, what is the router model and IOS filename? There is not enough information to resolve this, but here are some suggestions:

Telewest appears to be a cable providor. This means you have a cable modem providing an ethernet connection into your router. I have had experience with some American cable Internet where you need to lease a DHCP IP address in order to connect out to the Internet. Simply configuring a static IP address will not work for some providors unless it is an actual completed DHCP lease. If that is not the case with your service providor, make very sure that you have what is called a static default route with the correct next hop IP address.

• What is the result of the command "show ip route 0.0.0.0" on your router?
  • Can you PING your default gateway?
  • Does your router support the command "ip address dhcp" on the Internet connecting interface?
  • Do you get resolved IP addresses to MAC addresses in your "show ip arp" command?

Once a cable modem does a media transition to ethernet, there should not be any factors specific to the providor other that PPP authentication or resetting the cable"modem" after connecting to a new ethernet device.

=========== Scott Perry =========== Indianapolis, Indiana ________________________________________

Reply to
Scott Perry

Hey,

Its a 2612 running c2600-i-mz.122-12a.bin. I have managed to get the WAN side connected using DHCP but im now having an issue with the LAN. The

2612 only has 1 ethernet interface which is used for the WAN, I was planning ti use the serial WIC to route all LAN traffic over the serial link to a 1600 series router and then have a some wireless router plugged into the ethernet port of that, is this possible? I can ping internally OK on the LAN from the cisco 1600 but as soon as i try to ping anything outside the LAN it fails

Scott Perry wrote:

Reply to
Kevin Wincott

Maybe better that you copy and paste the results when do a show running-config.

Just blank out the sensetive information as that we could then see the type of router and the IOS version installed.

Reply to
Captain Apollo

Reply to
John Garrison

Diagnose NAT on the 2600 with this command: show ip nat translations

Reference Cisco's website (follow the links as shown below): -

formatting link
- Support - Documentation - IP - Network Address Translation (NAT)

Reference RFC1631: -

formatting link

=========== Scott Perry =========== Indianapolis, Indiana ________________________________________

Reply to
Scott Perry

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.