How to wire cable between network sockets

Hi - I have a small four port switch/ADSL router in one room, and a PC in another. I want to be able to connect the two together, by putting network sockets in both rooms and then just using patch cables to plug them in, but I'm not sure what the wiring between the two wall sockets should be - should it be straight through or crossover?

I did wonder whether they should both go up to a hub/switch (do you get unpowered ones?) instead, in case I decide to add in other rooms later

- would the wiring then be different again?

Cheers, Colin.

Reply to
seajays
Loading thread data ...

Everything should be straight through.

Reply to
DecaturTxCowboy

Straight through. Same with the patch cables.

Make each station a home run (pull it to one location) and nail it down on some sort of patch panel, or crimp an end on the cable and plug it directly into your switch/hub.

Reply to
The OTHER Kevin in San Diego

Good advice.

Terrible advice. Solid wire (which is what should be used) is intended to be punched down on a jack, not have a plug crimped onto it, which is why most plugs are not designed for use on solid cable and will be extremely unreliable if used. Even if you do get plugs designed for solid cable, plugging and unplugging the cable (which invariably happens if it has a plug on it) will eventually cause the conductors to break. Also, manual crimps are unreliable. If you don't need a full patch panel, you can just use keystone jacks. You can get multi-jack face plates that will hold up to six jacks.

-Larry Jones

You don't get to be Mom if you can't fix everything just right. -- Calvin

Reply to
lawrence.jones

snipped-for-privacy@ugs.com wrote: >>or crimp an end on the cable and

But the key is "used" how many times.....as long as you use the correct plug for solid wire, it'll work, but not for repeated plugging in (but how often do you really do that?).

Reply to
DecaturTxCowboy

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.