Virus and Cable Modem

You need to get your facts in order. Among modern browsers, IE is the

*least* standard of any you might choose.

That's false. IE is losing market share everyday and it would not surprise me at all if it is now at 85% or lower. All thanks to the Firefox campaign, and mainstream news articles (electronic and print) detailing IE's ongoing security problems.

How many web sites have you written?

Reply to
Beauregard T. Shagnasty
Loading thread data ...

Well, there are music services I use (Napster, Rhapsody), that intiate an IE session under them when they run. They use IE. When their proprietary software runs, it uses IE under it. So, if I want to have music from the Web (legal music, anyway), I have to use IE. Even if I used another browser, viruses, trojans, and the like could still slip into my machine, via IE, when running Rhapsody or Napster.

Reply to
Charles Newman

Given that not that many computer run Windows, that's unlikely. Then there are many who run Windows, but run Mozilla, Firefox or Opera. All the security problems with IE are causing people to move to alternatives.

As for the web sites, most are running on Apache, which is *NOT* designed to work best with IE. Also, any web site designer who creates sites that work best with IE and ignores the HTML standards is incompetent.

Reply to
James Knott

I just investigated both of their sites. Both worked fine with Firefox. You need to download an executable program that runs on your PC - not a browser - in order to get the music.

Set Firefox as your default browser, and choose to spoof as IE. I'll bet it works.

Not if you know what you're doing.

Reply to
Beauregard T. Shagnasty

I can access that page, with both Konqueror and Mozilla. Given that they support Netscape, Mozilla shouldn't be a problem. They are not forcing you to use IE.

Reply to
James Knott

Like in this web page?:

formatting link
'his website is best viewed with Microsoft
formatting link
Browsers for Windows Users: Internet Explorer 6 or later Netscape Navigator 6.1 or later

Browsers for Mac Users: Macintosh browser version information will be coming soon

I don't know what Linux users are supposed to do.

Geo

Reply to
"GEO" Me

Another thing is that it was in an academic enviroment. The admins felt that locking down the machines infringed upon academic freedom, which is what most of the CSU system strives for, so they found it easier just to ghost the machines every night at closing time. That solved the problem of viruses, trojans, spyware, or illegal material, such as pirated/unauthorized software installations, illegal music downloads, or illegal p*rn.

Reply to
Charles Newman

// removed virus group - has nothing to do with a virus.

Ranging is the process of a cablemodem to find out how much output power it has to use so that the other side (the headend) is still hearing it. From the message above I suppose the connection went bad and your cablemodem never received an answer to the ranging probes. Which means it can no longer communicate with the headend.

Probably caused by the loss of connectivity.

Your line parameteres have become too bad to communicate over them. If your cablemodem has led-indicators, it quite likly doesn't show "SYNC" at the moment or is performing nothing else then reset cycles. Phone your cable company and request a guy to measure/readjust the line.

CU

René

Reply to
Rene

There's a big difference, between works best with a few listed browsers and only IE. If it works with a variety, they've not gone the IE only route and will likely work with others, though some browsers may be better than others. If they support Netscape, there shouldn't be any problem with Netscape, Mozilla or Firefox on Linux, unless they've got a really incompetent designer.

Reply to
James Knott

As he said, if that were the case, that's completely incompetent. And the site works fine in Firefox and Safari on the Macintosh -- two standards-compliant browsers. I find the "Best viewed with...IE 5.5 for Mac" especially comical on the Mac side, since 5.2 was the last version of IE for the Mac. (It was abandoned after Safari came on the scene and handed it its lunch, followed shortly thereafter by Firefox

1.0.)

My guess is it'll work fine with Firefox under Linux, but we won't know until it goes live next month. The site specifically mentions the catalog will work with the Mac browsers, and the primary ones that haven't been abandoned (i.e., Internet Explorer) are standards-compliant browsers.

Reply to
Garner Miller

Or Lynx users or Firefox users or links users or Opera users or Arachne users or ....

Every once in a while I replace my home page for a day or two with a protest page that's designed to be hostile for graphical browsers in the same way that badly-designed web sites are hostile to text-only browsers such as lynx. Lynx users see little or no change except for the anti-inaccessibility editorial on some of the pages. Two of the protest pages are relevant to this discussion[1]:

formatting link
formatting link
Isn't the public library site a government site? I thought there were now accessibility standards for government web sites. Perhaps a Google search will find references to them and you could send them to the library.

Another link to send them:

"Dive Into Accessibility"

formatting link
A copy of the entire HTML part of that site can also be downloaded as a zip file so it can be referred to while off line:

"Dive Into Accessibility -- Download as HTML"

formatting link
ObACV: Not to mention that supporting IE and not all of the other browsers means that many more people will be forced to use a less-secure browser and increase their chances of getting infected if all they have is IE and some other non-Netscape browser.

[1] The others are, "December3.protest.html", "protest4.html", "protest5.html", "protest6.html" and "protest8.html".
Reply to
Norman L. DeForest

Another problem, too, is that Win9x, which is what was used in those days, could not be locked down so easily, either. Only the computer science department ever took the step of locking down their machines, but installing Window NT workstation on all of them. It was a matter of money. They caught so much hell for raising student fees 40 percent in

1992, that they did not raise them for years. The CSU system just did not have the money for the software needed to lock down the machines. That is why only the computer science department got Windows NT on workstations in those days. For the college, it was a matter of holding down spending costs, while raising student fees as little as possible.
Reply to
Charles Newman

Not really.

A student could come in five minutes before closing time, exercise their "academic freedom", and bring down the whole network before you even pulled the Ghost disk out of the cabinet.

Or I could come in a few minutes after opening, install a keyboard tracker, have the results sent to me, and be able to gain access to every e-mail and bank account that anyone who sat at that machine during the day accessed. And by the time even the brightest figure out what happened, that machine would have been Ghosted a few dozen times, leaving a dead trail.

Let's hear it for "academic freedom"!

Reply to
Warren

"Norman L. DeForest" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@halifax.c hebucto.ns.ca:

Good points. Heh the "DYSLEXIC VULCAN" alone makes A visit worthwhile. :)

J
Reply to
me

Not virus related. From

formatting link
Recommended Action No action is needed because it is normal for a cable system to occasionally lose MAC-layer messages, especially when multiple cable modems transmit RNG-REQ messages at the same time.

I can't find any specific causes for the above message, but it is common. If you're having problems with transfer speeds, or disconnects, call your isp, otherwise, ignore those messages.

Regards, Dave Hodgins

Reply to
David W. Hodgins

On Fri, 24 Dec 2004 11:22:27 -0800, "Charles Newman"

Sure. There's no single magic sheild.

Unfortunately, so is most malware that takes any interest in web browsers at all. Tall poppies may be innocent, but when the thresher comes over, they're still dead.

So what? You still lose all subsequent changes and data, and are still recreating a doomed, exploitable installation.

Tech Support: The guys who follow the 'Parade of New Products' with a shovel.

Reply to
cquirke (MVP Win9x)

Thank you very much Norman for the useful links and information. I'll try to get some easier access from this group of clueless designers that assume that everybody has high speed cable and the latest version of IE.

"Everybody in Canada is either skiing, or in the Caribbean for New Year' (or something like this) said the canadian Prime Minister Pierre Trudeau in the 1980s. {I don't think he meant Haiti}

Geo

Reply to
"GEO" Me

Well, the first one wasn't that bad on my Opera, and the second one was a long line of text, consisting of your rant. Was it intended to look like this?

The same problem exists in Germany, too; and the authorities are instructed to offer accessible sites. There is even a prize for the best "barrier free" site, the "Goldene Biene" (golden bee), that is awarded every year, by an organisation that collects funds for disabled persons, and runs a beneficial lottery (Aktion Mensch). Maybe something like this should be done in other countries, too.

formatting link

Gabriele Neukam

snipped-for-privacy@t-online.de

Reply to
Gabriele Neukam

Thank you. This page too has some interesting links in English. Too bad I never learnt enough German to read the others.

Geo

Reply to
"GEO" Me

That depends on the cable modem. I had a friend come here for me, He used a program called "telnet.exe" and changed some settings in the cable modem. Now it appears to load things faster then it otherwise would. however, if power is lost to the cable modem (as has happened); My settings are wiped with it. He has to come back and re add them.

So I would say this does depend on how the cable modem is setup. Perhaps some providers do allow the cable modems to be configured.

Or if the modem allows, via telnet.

Unpatched and improperly firewalled. I would be willing to be money that you could take a stock non patched install of windows, if placed behind a firewall with the proper settings; would not be comprimised.

Malware doesn't transmit large amounts of data at one time. Atleast, not so far as I've seen.

Sailing the seas of mp3s! mmm'Goodness!

Reply to
Sammy

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.