Toshiba PCX2600 cable modem?

formatting link
>

Riiight. I'll think it over. I may just decide to risk the rebate hassle since there's a CircCit a mile away.

*TimDaniels*
Reply to
Timothy Daniels
Loading thread data ...

I actually don't have my heart set on Toshiba. It's just that a few years ago, it was the acknowledged "best" cable modem and I felt that it was likely that the quality then had continued on. From what I read now, though, the Motorola SB5120 is the popular "best", so maybe I'll brave the Circuit City rebate mill and get a Motorola.

*TimDaniels*
Reply to
Timothy Daniels

RCA does...oops...just noticed another poster pointed that out. Nearly all cable modems are DOCSIS 2.0 any more...a few lingering to the past, but most are current with the standards.

Very irritating...makes your ISP sound like a politician. That'd get old fast.

While others may shake their head at why you are scrutinizing so close such a decision I sympathize with you. A few months ago I went through the exact thing you did & I researched my purchase to death.

All DOCSIS 2.0 modems should be alike in theory, but they are not. All modems require firmware. All firmware is not created equal & all firmware writers are not created equal.

Good luck in your search...and if you still have your heart set on a PCX2600 it's not too difficult to find new-in-box sealed units on eBay. And while Toshiba no longer sells the modems they still honor the warrantees on them.

Reply to
gray.wizard

formatting link

Here's one way:

formatting link
Select your state, then pick a category to see what's on sale. Many of the sale items have rebates.

Reply to
Bill M.

The quality had continued on. It's a real shame Toshiba got out of the cable modem market, but profit margins have become too slim for their tastes.

According to BroadbandReports the bugs in the SB5120 firmware are finally getting fixed so you will probably be okay getting one of those.

Hopefully, your ISP isn't one of those that insists that they cannot and/or will not upgrade the firmware if you get a buggy revision.

Good luck in whatever you choose.

Reply to
gray.wizard

Plus about 8.5% sales tax since I live in California. Hey! Our governor isn't called "The Terminator" for nothing! :-)

*TimDaniels*
Reply to
Timothy Daniels

Just as an FYI, Tim, NewEgg has the SB5100 for $53.99 + $5.99 three-day shipping.

Reply to
gray.wizard

Like Arnie had anything to do with the CA sales tax.

Reply to
$Bill

True.

Well, he's been in the US longer than most of the people reading this, so I think as long as you got your smiley there, I'll let it go. :)

The only reason Arnie's in there is due to the liberal spending of our state legislature that buried us in debt. That and a few things like very little help from the Feds on illegal alien costs, large losses due to energy deregulation and fraud/incompetence, etc. You can actually get better health care as an alien here vs a resident with no insurance.

I think they only ship overnight to 2-day max (at least I tried once to get them to drop down to ground with no luck), so the shipping will cost you like $15 min.

You always have to look at the total price.

Reply to
$Bill

Your state was screwed up way before Arnie got ahold of it. How bad do the state of affairs have to be in a state before the only way you can get a governor is to outsource the job to a foreigner? ;)

All kidding aside, you're lucky I'm stuck at work & would much rather goof off than find something productive to do in the office.

After an extensive internet search it looks like Comp-U-Plus of New York has the Motorola SB5100 for $47.99. You'd have to wait a while for it to ship across the country, but at least you'd avoid the horrendous sales tax.

formatting link
If you feel the need for the latest and greatest it looks like they also have the SB5120 for $61.00.

I've never dealt with this company, but it looks like they have what you want at a price close to what you'd be willing to pay without any rebate hassles.

Reply to
gray.wizard

Yeah, that's me - latest 'n greatest. I'm suspicious of why Motorola switched chipsets in mid-stream from Broadcom to Texas Instruments. Thanks for the suggestion, though.

*TimDaniels*
Reply to
Timothy Daniels

Lower cost + same wholesale price = greater margins.

Reply to
Warren

Then why does the SB5100 sell for appreciably less than the SB5120?

*TimDaniels*
Reply to
Timothy Daniels

Just speculating, but maybe they've been discontinued and they're just clearing inventory. Just checked their site and it looks like the SB5101 has replaced the SB5100.

Reply to
$Bill

# Motorola Surfboard SB5120 Docsis 1.1 and 2.0 Certified USB Cable Modem (Mfr#

505788-006-00) » only $39.99 + Free Shipping *** Hot Deal ***

The wait is over. By utilizing the enormous capacity of the Cable TV network, this SURFboard® SB5120 Cable Modem can have you enjoying Internet access - surfing, downloading, working, shopping and gaming - at speeds up to 100 times faster than with traditional 28.8k analog phone modems. It's always on. It's always connected. Say goodbye to busy signals, and to needless waiting. With Ethernet and USB connectivity, installation couldn't be simpler. A convenient stand-by button provides hassle-free security by disengaging from the PC without disconnecting from the cable network. Troubleshooting is a breeze too, thanks to front panel status indicator LEDs and an online diagnostics page. Once you've experienced broadband powered by Motorola, you'll never want to go back to dial up again! Get onto the cable pipeline today with the powerful, convenient, flexible and simple to install SURFboard SB5120, from the cable modem market leader!

# CircuitCity.com is carrying this Cable Modem for $79.99

formatting link
# There is a $20 Mfr Mail-In Rebate on it until 12/31/2005 # There is a $20 Exclusive Mail-In Rebate on it until 10/15/2005 # CircuitCity.com is offering free shipping on orders $25 or more # Your Final Price: $79.99 - $20 - $20 = $39.99 + Free Shipping

Note: CircuitCity.com charges sales tax in all the states where it has local presence (More Details)!

Reply to
$Bill

Just noticed Warren already posted this one. :(

presence (More Details)!

Reply to
$Bill

Yep...let it go. I like Arnie, but I just couldn't resist making that joke. He's inherited a huge mess & even though he has only been in office a couple years people want to know why he hasn't gotten all the problems fixed that took decades to cause. Hardly fair.

Agreed...you have to look at the total price. I couldn't find shipping charges listed anywhere. At least you are getting something for your $15 or so bucks (2-day shipping). Some internet outfits charge $15+ just for ground shipping.

Reply to
gray.wizard

Presumably for the same reason this time of year you can get a great deal on a vehicle you had to spend thousands more for just six months ago.

New stock coming in and the old stock has got to go to make room for the new model.

Reply to
gray.wizard

It used to be, may not be that way anymore, you shouldn't be able to buy an SB5101 in any store. It was only sold to ISPs to rent/sell to their customers.

You'll see a few on eBay from people selling their used modems they bought from their cable company, but you won't see them retail. I think it was determined that there wasn't much difference at all (a couple components outsourced to a different company) to make it worth seeking one out. There is no advantage to having a 5101 over a 5120.

Reply to
gray.wizard

Yep...and it was Tim's reply to that offer expressing his dislike of rebates (I hate them, too!) that prompted the internet retailer search.

C'mon, Tim! What do we need to do to put you in this nice new cable modem today? :)

Reply to
gray.wizard

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.