EarthLink: How do PCs establish Internet connection? DHCP?

Hello all,

A friend of mine has recently had a cable modem installed for her internet connection with EarthLink. When she plugs the ethernet cable of her laptop into the modem, she gets Internet access. So far so good. The next step is to buy and install a router to construct a home network, and here she's stuck.

I also have a cable modem at home and my provider is Roadrunner. They give an IP address via DHCP to whatever connected to the modem. So, I bought a router and plugged it to the modem, and then Roadrunner gives my router a global IP address; I plug my PCs to the switch of the router and then the router gives private addresses (192.168.xxx.xxx) to my PCs via DHCP. Nothing is easier than that!

But, I don't understand what EarthLink does. I checked the EarthLink website and found this kind of softwarre is used

formatting link
Although I don't know quite what it does, I got an impression that your PC needs to use this software to get any connection. In that case, she simply cannot install a router for herself. . . .

Could somebody tell me what EarthLink does to give internet access? Can she install a router for herself?

Thank you, Ryo

Reply to
ryofurue
Loading thread data ...

She does not need to install Earthlink Total Access software.

Power-cycle the cablemodem before connecting the router. Once the cablemodem has sync, connect the Ethernet cable to the router, and power-up the router. Once the router has sync, connect the Ethernet cable from the computer to the router, and boot the computer. You're done.

Reply to
Warren

Warren wrote: [. . .]

Thanks for the advice! I forwarded it to her and she was sucessful in installing a router!

Regards, Ryo

Reply to
ryofurue

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.