Slowdown in Howard CO, MD?

Hi folks in the extended "Columbia" area-

Is anyone other than I experiencing a slowdown?

I used several speed tests through the afternoon/evening (it's 10 pm now) and am getting usually around 1000 MB/sec downloads. This is less than half of what I'm used to. It seemed fine earlier today.

Any ideas what's up? Is it just me or are others seeing this?

It's the slowest I've ever had, even before the upgrade a few years ago.

Marc

Reply to
MAG
Loading thread data ...

You also need to do the speed tests from different servers if it is "slow".

I used to use "megapath" but it has become quite slow for me. Using either "speakeasy" or "linkpath", I get much better speed stats.

E.g., last night megapath showed about 1000 kbps while speakeasy claimed about 2500 kbps......slow night.

The location of megapath is about 125 miles away while linkpath is about

400 miles away..!

I don't check speed much but was interested if gotten the new cable speed yet.

Reply to
lew

Agreed. I usually use Speakeasy and the Giganews speed test. They are usually with 5-10% of each other, and yesterday both confirmed very slow speeds, confirming the sluggish feel of realtime work.

Today I'm getting marginally better results, but still on the order of half the normal speeds.

Reply to
MAG

Fellow "Columbian" here. I've noticed that Comcast's DNS servers have been a bit slow to respond during the evenings this week, but my download speeds have been just fine. I've been doing daily checks via

formatting link
and get right around the alloted speeds of 4MB down and 384K up.

Reply to
Bill Kirkpatrick

Hi Bill-

Hmmm. Tried

formatting link
and still got around 1.2 Mbps. So, something's up. Or down, rather. Since you are testing OK it must have to do with local load balancing. Tried disconnecting power to router/cable modem for a while and restarting. No change.

My upload speed is around 338, btw.

I'll give it till Tuesday or so and then phone it in.

Marc

Reply to
MAG

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.