SB3100 modem Linksys BEFSR81 Router/switch- high activity

I have a home network hooked to CHARTER.NET cable internet through a Linksys BEFSR81 router/switch and a SB3100 cable modem. The activity light on the modem and the WAN traffic light are blinking constantly (in concert) with a on time percentage greater than 50%. All the time, 24/7. There is no matching LAN traffic. My access speeds aren't what I'd like and I suspect that a lot of this traffic is caused by zombies. Is there freeware/shareware sniffers available and router settings that I can apply to characterize this traffic? I have an XP pro and RH9 machines on the LAN that I can install a sniffer on. I can physically bypass the router if I have to. I have looked for and found some software that I think would do the job, but I'd like some experienced advice before I proceed.

Thanks in advance, Brian.

Reply to
Brian Busse
Loading thread data ...

This is WAN traffic that you cannot control.

1) Turn off or unplug the router and watch the cable modem

or

2) Unplug everything from the LAN side of the router and watch the lights.

You will see the WAN side always busy.

I use

formatting link
for detailed logs of my router - that shows EVERYTHING - in / out, allowed / blocked

Reply to
riggor9999

You can use Ethereal {

formatting link
} as a packaet analysis tool and you can perform the following on all you LAN platforms...

1) Download the following four items...

McAfee Stinger

formatting link
Trend Sysclean Package
formatting link
Latest Trend Pattern File.
formatting link
Adaware SE (free personal version v1.05)
formatting link
Create a directory. On drive "C:\" (e.g., "c:\New Folder") or the desktop (e.g., "C:\Documents and Settings\lipman\Desktop\New Folder")

Download Sysclean.com and place it in that directory. Download the Trend Pattern File by obtaining the ZIP file. For example; lpt377.zip

Extract the contents of the ZIP file and place the contents in the same directory as sysclean.com.

2) Update Adaware with the latest definitions. 3) If you are using WinME or WinXP, disable System Restore
formatting link
Reboot your PC into Safe Mode and shutdown as many applications as possible 5) Using Trend Sysclean, Stinger and Adaware, perform a Full Scan of your platform and clean/delete any infectors/parasites found. (a few cycles may be needed) 6) Restart your PC and perform a "final" Full Scan of your platform using the three utilities; Trend Sysclean, Stinger and Adaware 7) If you are using WinME or WinXP, Re-enable System Restore and re-apply any System Restore preferences, (e.g. HD space to use suggested 400 ~ 600MB), 8) Reboot your PC. 9) If you are using WinME or WinXP, create a new Restore point

• * * Please report your results ! * * *

Reply to
David H. Lipman

You PAID for

formatting link
! Why ?

I use WallWatcher

Reply to
David H. Lipman

I have noticed the same thing here. I looked at mine and it is mostly ARP traffic probably generated by people running a *secure* Microsoft OS infected with one of the numerous possible exploits.

Reply to
George

That's what I suspect. What did you use to get that info? My router keeps stuff not addressed to my IP address out (duh) so I can't see what is "passing by". I'd been wondering if setting up one of the LAN machine IP addresses as the routers "DMZ" host meant that all WAN traffic was echoed to that machine. It doesn't. To see the WAN traffic not addressed to me, I guess I'll have to hook the modem directly to a machine running the sniffer.

Reply to
Brian Busse

A service change, such as a higher cap on the speed, mean a new config file with those variables needs to be sent to the modems on the network. Sometimes it could be as simple as changing a single number in a variable in the config file, but sometimes the change involves some fine-tuning of the way the network works. More complex changes to the config file may be required, and oddities in the firmware of older modems may frustrate the ability to write a perfect config file.

With newer modems, the engineers from the modem manufacturer can provide technical support, and aid in the writing of a new config file that does exactly what's expected, and not have any unexpected problems. But older modems may no longer be supported. (The engineers may not have even been employed by the company when those older modems went out of production!)

There were some very major changes between the SB3100 and the next model, the SB4100. So it's possible that knowledge obtained from the engineers about the supported SB51x0 modems may have been easy to apply to the SB41x0 modems, but aren't a perfect solution for the SB31x0x series. Many providers have dropped the SB3100, and other modems from it's era, off their list of supported modems. They may not be insisting that they be taken off the network, but when they're not working correctly, the solution may be to replace the modem with one that is still on the supported list.

Reply to
Warren

I am having problems too. LOW Speed. The cox tech said that the new

version of software and equipment that is running their "new higher

speed networks" conflict with the SB3100 cable modem. Have not been

able to confirm this, but things are much better with a loaner modem

(new version).

You and I might have to buy a new modem - one that don't conflict with

the broadcast center's equipment.

good luck!!!

Reply to
wirelessmpls

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.