Modem recommendations

I have a few more appropriate names for him. ;)

Reply to
$Bill
Loading thread data ...

I like your smile, dollar bill.

dj

Reply to
Dr. Cajones

Oh Warren, such a stickler! I suppose you would have called the Yugo an automobile.

dj

Reply to
Dr. Cajones

So, Bob, you are saying both me and Merriam-Webster have it wrong?????

*shakes head*

dj

Reply to
Dr. Cajones

Yes. I call George W. Bush the President, too.

Reply to
Warren

"Warren" wrote in news:oMU9d.440501$8_6.190546 @attbi_s04:

Having used this modem for several days now I can attest to the fact that Warren's comment above is no exaggeration. Though the connection of the power cord to the back of the modem is "deceivingly" good, it doesn't take much movement at all to cause a power reset. Other than the fact that I need to be extra careful about not disturbing it, I can't say that I have any complaints about this modem, especially not for a cost of $10. :)

Joe

Reply to
Joe McArthur

now, Warren, this is taking the concept of stickler to hitherto unknown heights, er, depths?

dj

Reply to
Dr. Cajones

Not to start another extensive thread, but can you gentlemen offer some advice on my tentative choice of modems? Having read this newsgroup for a while, it appears that either the Lynksis BEFCMU10 or a Motorola Surfboard might be appropriate I'll be connecting to Comcast (Alexandria, VA) using an iMac G4 with OS 10.3.2 I've been using IPNet SentryX 1.2 for a firewall in lieu of the firewall in OSX.

TIA, George

Reply to
George Berger

You were correct, it's just that Joe spelled it correctly also. I was the one that added "

Reply to
Bob Stephens-Doll

so he did, sorry Joe! but Bob, I found a pompos AND a pompus under your hand, *g*. Just for fun I'll repost Webster-Merriam's take on things pompous. Having been reading ng's since `94, it has always seemed an apt reference in the USENET realm. Isn't it interesting that definitions one & three are positive, or neutral, even artistic, and we all seem to only recognize number two! Ahhh, human behaviors, what a concept.

Main Entry: pomp·ous Pronunciation: 'päm-p&s Function: adjective

1 : excessively elevated or ornate 2 : having or exhibiting self-importance : ARROGANT 3 : relating to or suggestive of pomp : MAGNIFICENT

- pomp·ous·ly adverb

- pomp·ous·ness noun

Reply to
Dr. Cajones

dj,

Pompous people, posting particularly persnickety pronouncements, permanently peeve prudent persons. Providentially, petty parsing promotes passionate, persistent participation . perchance playful pleasure!

I believe this falls under definition #1 ;-)

- Bob

Reply to
Bob Stephens-Doll

I have to tip my hat to you Bob. Giving credit to a guy who recently chastised you demonstrates integrity, and integrity is something I respect and admire.

Cheers, Joe

"Bob Stephens-Doll" wrote in news:BtQcd.105495$a85.56934@fed1read04:

Reply to
Joe McArthur

I believe it did!

8*)

dj

Reply to
Dr. Cajones

Thank you. And the same to you too!

I guess we all need to work on our Karma every once in a while ... ;)

Bob

Reply to
Bob Stephens-Doll

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.