How do I run a server with Cox residential?

I want to install a server for testing and learning about networking. I want to use my Cox connection from home with my one home computer. Just for educational purposes. I am not running a business. I want to just put up a home page and learn with my own computer. But when I tried to connect the server to the Internet, then it wouldnt let me. I found out that Cox Blocks port 80 and all other ports that are used to run home servers. They told me that I have to pay extra money if I want to run my own server and it is considered a business. I told them that I am a student and I am just testing and learning with my own computer. But they refused to unblock port 80. My question is this: Is there a way to get around this? I use a COM21 Box. Thank you for your time in advance.

PS: You can email me personally or post to the group.

Terry

Reply to
Tom Goodman
Loading thread data ...

Should be no problem there.

Still no problem.

You should still be able to connect to your web server. Try address http://localhost/

That is how I do it.

Reply to
Bit Twister

You can put your server on an non-standard port number. On the browser end, you just have to specify that port number as part of the URL. For example, if you put the server on port #1234, you'd add :1234, to the URL. Pick a port above 1024, as those ports are not likely to be blocked.

Reply to
James Knott

Trying to steal the thunder from Arnold, snipped-for-privacy@mailinator.com (Tom Goodman) on 16 Oct 2004 14:46:30 -0700 spoke:

A web server can be on ANY port,

You just add a colon and the port number to the URL...

Reply to
Never anonymous Bud

alot of people will run their web servers at :8080....

shockie B)

Reply to
shockwaveriderz

you might also need to use port forwarding if using a router shockie B)

Reply to
shockwaveriderz

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.