Downstream & Upstream Signals

What are the upstream and downstream signals? When I log on to my Motrola Surfboard 4200, the signal page reports a downstream level between -3 and plus 1 dbmV. The upstream is between 39 and 53dbmv. When I have severe problems with lost packets, the upstream signal is high, 53dbmV. Does this make any sense?

Reply to
William C. Smith
Loading thread data ...

Generally, downstream should be between +15 and -15 (0=ideal). You look fine there. Your upstream is a bit weird. There may be a bad amp that is affected by the weather, or a poor connection someplace. Upstream uses low frequences below TV channel 2 (54MHz) and is sensitive to noise getting in.

I'm in a similar situtation, as my upstream varies. I've seen it as low as 41, and as high as 61 (it was actually working at 61, too!) I recently rearranged my cabling to eliminate a splitter, and it's been in the low- mid 40's most of the time, but I've see it at 51 once.

Reply to
Andrew Rossmann

Andrew Rossmann wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@news.comcast.giganews.com:

Thanks for the info. My upstream has been about 45 and I am connecting. When I was having lost packets, I called Comcast. They told me that my router changes the upstream number and that I would have to connect the computer directly to the modem. I was very upset because I don't see how the router can change the contents of message. About that time the the connection improved and I have been connecting well, no help from Comcast. I still don't understand the meaning of upstream and down stream. I am guessing that upstream is what I send, and the down stream is what I receive.

Reply to
William C. Smith

Either the person you were talking to is misinformed or you misunderstood.

That is correct. A high downstream signal level means you're receiving a nice, loud, easy to understand signal (unless the level is *too* high), which is good. A high upstream signal level, on the other hand, means that you're having to shout to be heard, which is bad.

-Larry Jones

This game lends itself to certain abuses. -- Calvin

Reply to
lawrence.jones

snipped-for-privacy@ugs.com wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@jones.homeip.net:

I think the Comcast service people are automatons following a fixed proceedure. Any convenient excuse (like the router changes the message text) to avoid non standard actions will do.

Now I understand. I again guess that the modem invokes a handshaking proceedure to adjust the shouting level.

Reply to
William C. Smith

Exactly. Much like a small child, the modem simply talks louder and louder until it gets a response. Once communication is established, the head end instructs the modem to speak up or quiet down as required to keep its received signal level correct.

-Larry Jones

If I get a bad grade, it'll be YOUR fault for not doing the work for me!

-- Calvin

Reply to
lawrence.jones

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.