downstream power level?

Does your cable modem list the downstream and upstream frequencies? Most commonly, downstream will be very high, like in the 600-700's. That is well into the UHF channels (or cable channels 85+). Channels 2-6 are roughly 50-88MHz. Upstream usually uses frequences below 50.

+3db is good. The recommendation is +15 to -15, although some recommend trying to keep it +8 to -8. You also need to check SNR (Signal to Noise Ratio). It should be 30+. Upstream should be below 55db.

formatting link
Noise and problems with channels 2-6 often mean a poor cable ground someplace. Double-check all your connections. Also, verify that any splitters are rated 5-900 or 5-1000. Replace any that are unrated, or start at 40 or 50MHz.

Reply to
Andrew Rossmann
Loading thread data ...

What is the typical downstream power level for a cable modem? My modem seems OK although I don't really know what the performance is. My TV channels 2-6 suck. I know this is the same band. My modem says 3dB. Is that low? Can it tolerate a bump up to improve the TV signal?

Reply to
Greg

Reply to
BigJIm

Have see people with good tv signal and poor internet cable values. Internet drop outs/failures users also had poot tv.

If no problems with internet, then I would check tv path.

Hmmm, mine i -1dbv.

Look up the specs on your cable modem.

I would not recommend you placing an amp in front of your cable modem.

Reply to
Bit Twister

Thanks Andy, I am in the process of swapping out all of the cable on my side with brand new quad shield. I have a "real" crimper and I am using good connectors. We will see. So far I have found some questionable stuff so I do have some confidence I am fixing something

Reply to
Greg

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.