Comcast Main Access Page for Customers Too Picture/Scripts Intensive

Comcast cable Internet may be fast, but the main access page

formatting link
(not
formatting link
and the web-based email page just too picture and scripts intensive. It is unnecessary. Remember each time we upgraded PC from 486, to Pentium I, to Pentinum II, to Pentinum III 3GHz CPU? Or each time we upgrade the OS from Win95 to 98 to XP? Why wasn't the speed greatly improved for each upgrade? Because each upgrade of OS adds unneeded fancy images, files, layers, junks. Same as in the Comcast case. When we upgrade from 28.8kbps dial-up modem to 1.4Mbps cable modem, we want straightforward speed. Do not let the unneeded fancy junk slow down the access. Please.

We use

formatting link
to access the email and account maintenance (this is the only way to do it) from any Internet access point. That's why I mention this page. When times that we do not access this page, normal Internet access speed does going fast.

Reply to
J Autt
Loading thread data ...

Using Task Manger to monitor both network activity and CPU activity, the only way I can get any CPU activity is to move the mouse rapidly across the scripted images, and there is *no* network activity except for a minor peak of no consequence when the larger graphic is refreshed.

Accessing the email inbox, there is absolutely no activity except for the occasional image refresh on the main page which is in the background.

My belief is that you have many applications running in the background that *are* using both network and CPU, and the little bit of activity from this page is saturating one or both. I suggest that you follow the advice provided on this link for fixing a slow computer:

formatting link
Q

Reply to
Quaoar

I'm on TWC and it loads in about a second....

What kind of machine are you running this on? Do you get good speeds elsewhere?

Reply to
Guess Who

Actually, that's not quite true. There are at least two ways that I know of to go directly to your webmail, bypassing the Comcast.net homepage.

1)This goes directly to the specific mailbox. Substitute your own id and password and then cut and paste the ENTIRE url to your browser:
formatting link
And 2) This is a simple, plain text login that will take you directly to the webmail page for the user id chosen:
formatting link
mady
Reply to
mady

I am sorry I did not make my points clear. Actually, it was not the "picture extensive" part that I was complaining, but rather the "scripts intensive" part that I did not like. It takes too much CPU time to format a page --

formatting link
Someone earlier mentioned it took him/her 1 second. See, that's what I was complaining. 1 second is too long. yahoo.com only takes a fraction of 1 second. If every page takes a second to format (while supposedly only 0.1 second to download), the web surfing is a pain.

I do not have any problem with CPU or background tasks. I practically do not have background task. I do not even run Virus scan software, because I do not need it. All I need is a Firewall, and strictly control of inbound and outbound access. I do not boot from unknown floppy and never execute an unknown attached file from email. And I check registry startup section every few hours. Therefore, any virus, if any, will be caught right way if it tries outbound access, and will be killed right away.

Back to topic, comcast script intensive main home page takes too much CPU time. You can view the source code of their page and compare it with that of ebay.com or yahoo.com. See the file size and scripits size and page complexity.

Reply to
J Autt

Your points were very clear and I offered you two alternatives to bypass the Comcast.net home page and it's CPU-wasting scripts. Or did you just want to bitch and moan?

mady

Reply to
mady

Right-click the desktop, select New Shortcut...

Q
Reply to
Quaoar

mady wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Wish I could remember the instructions for creating a desktop shortcut into which one can enter ID and password, and when launched, it goes right to your personal email. I used it, and it worked great. I think it was given out on one of the (still existing) attbi newsgroups, and I believe it even worked after Comcast 'upgraded' the web email/servers.

I think it's on an older machine I have in the garage. I'll have to fire it up and see.

Bruce

Reply to
Bruce

May not work - depending on login code, but you could try :

http://:@lnkschl.home.comcast.net/mail_login.html where is replaced with your username etc.

Reply to
$Bill

Use either of the two links above. Save them (you might have to edit the actual url in Favorites/properties). Then open Favorites, right-click on the link and from the menu that opens choose Send to and Desktop.

mady

Reply to
mady

"Quaoar" wrote in news:E7udnZRZbLzz7_ncRVn- snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com:

Guess I didn't phrase that question correctly (syntax error?)...

I know how to create a desktop shortcut, it's the script that auto logs my ID and P/W that I can't remember.

Reply to
Bruce

mady wrote in news:msham0dv90cfp9jp0htti1anmj0igunngu@

4ax.com:

Hmmm, even when editing the link to insert my ID and pw, this still gets me only to the login page.

Here's what worked for me (YMMV):

right click on desktop left click new left click shortcut In the "Type the location of the item" box, I entered the URL you provided:

formatting link
and substituted my ID for youruserid and substituted my pw for yourpassword

Works like a charm. Guess I was brain dead for the last two days.

Thanks. You saved me from lugging out that old pc under the house.

Bruce

Reply to
Bruce

Yes. That's what I meant when I said you would have to edit the url. I'm used to doing it in Favorites - Properties, but your way works just as well.

Glad to help. In fact, remove the "passurl=

formatting link
"part and you have the direct login to your Comcast home page.

mady, who likes shortcuts

Reply to
mady

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.