Cannot reach config to Ambit Modem - Ideas?

Hardware: Ambit Modem U10C018 connected to Charter coax. US Robotics 8003 Router between Modem and XP SP1 PC.

All works well - except:

When I try to access the Modem vi "192.168.100.1" through the Browser, 99% of time it times out. The rare moment I can get into the Modems configuration page, to read the Modem's Dwn and Upload dBm and SNR values, the modems built in web server seems ok.

Can anyone provide ideas why? Is the router blocking the non routable IP of 192.168.100.1 from reaching the the Modem? or?? any fixes? ideas?? Should I set the routers MAC to be the same as the modems (or the PCs)?? Help!

TIA, Tony

Reply to
Tony Martin
Loading thread data ...

I suspect a DNS server problem. How is the rest of your network access? "Normally" you set up your computer network connection without specifying a DNS server -only setting DHCP or "connect autmatically". You can specify your default gateway, the router's LAN IP (192.168.X.1) if you want to. The router should also be set up for DHCP and toggle it as a DNS server for the LAN.

Q
Reply to
Quaoar

Thanks for your feedback. To answer your question first please note I already mentioned "all works well", meaning there are no other problems.

Since I am specifying the modems IP there is no need for DNS as I understand it. Aside, I have no problems reaching anything on the WAN using verbose URL's

My best WAG is either the router is blocking the modems non routable IP address or the modem's firmware is buggy. However the router is set to DMZ and should not be blocking anything and the modem has been on the market for two years and has the latest firmware update from a year ago.

Perhaps its possible the ISP has reprovisioned the modem online to stop access to its configuration, logs etc but they say no. Another thought is that the software firewall is blocking access, but why that IP (192.168.100.1) and not the IP of the router (192.168.123.254) which I CAN reach without problems??

As Mulder would say, "the truth is out there" :-)

TIA, Tony

Reply to
Tony Martin

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.