X10 Garage door open/close ?

I was wondering if anyone had a novel approach on how to open/close a garage door?

With a SINGLE Power Flash I can either Change the state blind or with a floor switch either open it or close it only.

To Open it on command (and not close it by mistake) and also close it (and not open it) takes TWO powerflash modules, a relay (and supply) and a switch and two X10 addresses (one open one close)

Does anyone have a simpler or canned solution ?

Bob Sisson

Reply to
Bob Sisson
Loading thread data ...

switch either open it or close it only.

With two power flashes and a form "C" sensor, using the same method as you already know only extending it, you can have one X10 signal for Door Open and another for Door Close. You don't really need a relay as long as the sensor's contacts are rated for the whatever current the opener's input uses.

You might want to consider adding a second safety photo sensor, a few inches higher than your car's rear bumper to prevent accidentally closing it onto your trunk if you're not meticulous about pulling the car all the way in each time (been there, scratched that).

Reply to
Robert L Bass

Actually, we had to design a more reliable means of opening a gate controller (than X-10) and wound up using the 4204 relay module for an Ademco Vista series panel (Vista 50). Not only will the four button keyfob open the gate it also allows him to turn on certain exterior lights and open his garage door. We installed custom graphic LED annunciator panels in four locations in the house that display open doors and windows as well as the status of the dead bolt locks on all the exterior doors and the status of the main gate and garage doors (whether they're "open" or "closed"). The system's been up and running for five years. I've only recently sent him the specs on the Elk M1-Gold. I figure he's a "prime candidate" for an upgrade. :-)

Reply to
Frank Olson

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.