Howto: X10 lights on conduit boxes for barn

I wanted to use x10 to independently control four 300W Halogen lights on the ceiling of my recently-built barn. I am using gray 3/4" PVC conduit and boxes with wires pulled inside for all wiring in the barn which is unheated thru Vermont winters. I wanted to mount X10 modules right inside each box that the lights mounted on. I looked at using appliance modules, but I would have to make 3 wired connections to the plugs, and find a way to glue or attach the module so that the settings could be changed from outside.

Luckily I found that an X10 SuperSocket module slides nicely right inside the Gray PVC Carlin boxes I am using from Home Depot. Drill two holes, and add a load connection on a plug blade, and you're ready to install. Now I can turn any of the 4 lights on and off from a PalmPad or PowerHome.

How It Worked is shown at

formatting link
This could also be used with a blank cover, to make a conduit-inline X10 switch.

Any comments, suggestions, pointers to similar stuff appreciated!

Regards, Terry King ...On The Mediterranean in Carthage (Back ...In The Woods In Vermont for the Summer)

Reply to
terry
Loading thread data ...

Is there a reason you didn't use the in-box modules?

formatting link
I have used these a few times and they fit very nicely inside standard boxes...

Reply to
Bob Sisson

I imagine that it gets pretty cold in that barn in the Vermont winter. Has this system worked reliably during last winter? I don't have any temperature specs for X-10 modules, but I tried a "Socket Rocket" on an outdoor flood light last winter. I worked fine above 45 degrees F. but below that would not turn on.

Bill

Reply to
Bill

I tried to use X-10 lamp modules in my attic in southeast Virginia and they failed to function well in the winter. And we have relatively mild winters here.

Reply to
Happy

------------------- I had good results last Christmas when I visited home and brought the Cabin up from below freezing. As I recall all the X10 stuff worked OK...

I'll report my results THIS Winter.

Thanks for all the comments and suggestions!

Reply to
terry

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.