When DSL Connections are first hooked up

Hi I just hooked up DSL COnnection, Im Ran a couple speed tests and the speeds are medicaore. They told me to keep my modem on for 10 Days Stright. IS this when the conenction speed will be faster.

I did the test at the following site:

formatting link
It came up with 29K/Second Downloads...Thats all.. Im just wondering if this going to get faster after the 10 Days are up or not?

Reply to
Kimmyob
Loading thread data ...

It sounds like you're making the classic case of confusing a kilobit with a kilobyte. How much are you paying for? If you're getting a reading of say 29K, that would indicate something on the neighborhood of a 384K DSL package, give or take. In other words, it's not bad at all.

What you're seeming to think is that it's about equivalent to a modem; even a 56K modem at best gets only about 7K/sec.

Reply to
Cyrus Afzali

What is the speed of your connection? 70-80% of that (upstream or downstream) is probably the best you'll get.

Reply to
blitz

The Speed on My Connectioni s 1.5 MEG from SBC Yahoo DSL

When i had cable to i was getting 4 Times This, I switched becaues the cable kept Going in and out, but this is just not good at all.

Reply to
Kimmyob

Is that 'up to 1.5M' (typical DSL connection), or 1.5 and up (premium package)? Speeds generally increase as the modem 'learns' the connection during the first ten days; actual speed depends on various effects, many due to the distance, by wire, to the central office. That's why DSL is usually marketed as 'up to 1.5', with a minimum speed of 384. The premioum services are limited to those within a distance that allows for higher speeds.

Reply to
Rick Wintjen

It may depend upon how far you are from CO (central office) or RT (remote terminal). Leave your modem on (does not matter if PC is on) for 10 days and see if it improves.

That is still faster and cheaper (if you got $14.95 rate) than most dialup services, and includes dialup if the DSL ever goes down or you travel (you are allowed 1 DSL and 1 dialup at same time).

If your speed does not improve in 10 days, register on

formatting link
alias
formatting link
They have forums for various SBC regions, or someone on SBC Direct forum could check your line (provide requested info including phone number that your DSL is on). Posts on "SBC Direct" are only viewable by yourself or SBC techs. Anyone can view their other SBC forums.

Reply to
David Efflandt

What? 29KB/s is *much* faster than dialup. Perhaps you are confusing KB/s with Kb/s? (bits versus bytes)

DS

Reply to
David Schwartz

29K is slower than Dial-Up.

The same site tells me 2.6MB. My router says I am connected at 3.25MB.

Reply to
John S.

"David Schwartz" wrote

I guess it IS hard to keep them straight, isn't it, Dave? ;-)

KB/s vs Kb/s (Bytes vs bits), eh?

Reply to
Ken Abrams

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.