yesterday i had a 54Mbps connection Now, it's only 11Mbps

Hi! I had a Notebook working on a wireless lan (both AP and notebook's adapter are 802.11g compatible) at 54mbps, although, sometimes, and for no apparent reason, it'd go down to 48 o 36mbps WithOut moving the notebook from it's place; but i could accept that . what i don't understand is that yestarday i switched from my old WindowsXP Home SP2 to a Windows XP Media Center SP2 and Now i Only get

11Mbps !!!!!!!. The network card was configured to work at 802.11 b only so i switched it into "g" But Still 11Mbps! I don't know what's happening!.

thanks-

Reply to
ifmusic
Loading thread data ...

You can try changing channels, as well as rebooting the router and making sure that the antennae aren't pointing in a direction that would reduce signal transmission.

Reply to
optikl

On 5 Aug 2006 18:58:56 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote in :

Normal. Many adapters report full speed when no data is flowing. The real speed is only reported when data is flowing.

Still sounds like "b" only mode.

Reply to
John Navas

What is an i?

Barry ===== Home page

formatting link

Reply to
Barry OGrady

help/advise me pleas i have two computers with 54mbps, cards in them i am look to buy a adsl wireless rotter should i buy a 108mps+new cards

can someone advise me on brands,makes,models to buy and which ones not to avoid

thanks

ps. i newbie so keep any tec. to a min.

Reply to
justin baker

On Mon, 7 Aug 2006 19:40:34 +0100, "justin baker" wrote in :

54 Mbps is fine.

Any of the better/major brands: Buffalo, D-Link, Linksys, Netgear.

Reply to
John Navas

I don't understand, i had windows Xp Home which reported 54mbps, sometimes 48mbps, i went to XP pro and i got 11mbps so i put windows Xp Home back again and i'm still with 11mbps. I SAW it working at more than 11mbps!, and when i copied files through it felt like more than 11mbps. Also, when i set my AP to work at -802.11 G only- my notebook couldn't find it anymore so i had to set the AP back to its B + G mode. I have a notebook that says It's B+G compliant and a AP that claims that too. I saw them working at 54mbps and now they refuse to do it again.

What should i check? (i already tried changing channels and rebooting the AP as suggested)

Reply to
ifmusic

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.