Wireless Network for Lake Cabins

We have a cabin on a 100 acre lake in WI. Our lake association is thinking about putting in a wireless network so that we can provide internet access to the 32 cabins on the lake.

The maximum distance across the lake is about 2,000 ft. We could locate 3 access points / repeaters at key locations on the lake and provide line of site to almost everyone.

Does anyone have any suggestions for what equipment we should use? Can we get by with standard 802.11G type gear or should we wait for WI-MAX to become commercially viable?

Thanks,

Reply to
Mike Schumann
Loading thread data ...
2000ft should be achievable with an external high-gain antenna - if not, two would easily cover it. I saw this page earlier today...
formatting link
Reply to
Chris Berry

"Mike Schumann"

| We have a cabin on a 100 acre lake in WI. Our lake association is thinking | about putting in a wireless network so that we can provide internet access | to the 32 cabins on the lake. | | The maximum distance across the lake is about 2,000 ft. We could locate 3 | access points / repeaters at key locations on the lake and provide line of | site to almost everyone. | | Does anyone have any suggestions for what equipment we should use? Can we | get by with standard 802.11G type gear or should we wait for WI-MAX to | become commercially viable?

Propagation should be fine over water, if the cabins are in the bushes the path losses at that point this may be a concern. Also be aware the on days when the lake is perfectly smooth you may experience some signal fades due to phase canceling from multi path off the lake. Likely not to happen often but a heads up. A partial solution is to raise or lower the antenna on either end a bit. (3 to 9 inches should be enough). As this a single point to a multi-point I'd do the deed on the remote end.

Reply to
Not Me

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.