Wireless Internet Speed Issues

I have a wireless linksys router that I connect several devices to. I have a couple of laptops that connect wirelessly and my office computer which is wired to the router. The wireless connection is set up with 128 bit WEP. When I do a speed test from my wired computer I get around 12mbit down and 512kbit up. When I run the same test on my laptop, which is connected wirelessly, I only get around

3.5 mbit down and 512kbit up.

I cannot figure out why the speed difference is so huge. I don't think it can be entirely WEP because the upload speeds are the same. Is there anything else I should be looking at?

Thanks,

Mike

Reply to
mjrspam
Loading thread data ...

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com hath wroth:

Model number of your Linksys router? Some clue as to what these "devices" constitute? Are any of them

802.11b only?

Ok, you have a cable or fiber connection and are using some kind of unline test page. Any clues which one(s)?

3.5 Mbits/sec is what I would expect from an 802.11b only 11Mbit/sec association.

Model numbers of your hardware? Look into using IPerf for testing wireless speed. You setup one of your wired computers as a server, and measure the speed via wired or wireless connections from the other machines. Search this newsgroup for mention of IPerf for the general proceedure.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

The router is a WRT54G. The laptops and my game adapter are all

802.11g. When the laptop is connected, the network settings show that it is connected at 54Mbit.

The page I'm using to test the speed is

formatting link
I will look into IPerf.

Reply to
mjrspam

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com hath wroth:

Nice. Speakeasy has my DSL connection at 1321 Kbits/sec down and 324 Kbits/sec upload, which are correct.

Since it works correctly without wireless, it has to be something involving wireless that's the problem. It's just too much of a coincidence that you're getting 3.5Mbits/sec. That's exactly what I would expect from an 11Mbit/sec 802.11b only connection. With a

54Mbit/sec connection, it should be 25Mbits/sec download maximum. See maximum speeds at:

Sorry. I had to run away to lunch and to pickup my laptop and a few routers.

Download Iperf from:

Setup a 2nd computah, with a direct CAT5 connection to the router. Run the server part or Iperf as: iperf -s On your wireless laptop, run: iperf -c ip_address_of_server and see what manner of speed you get. It should be about half the wireless connection speed. Anything less or highly variable means you've got a problem.

A bit more on IPerf at:

I realize this is a dumb suggestion, but have you tried rebooting your computers and power cycling the WRT54G? It may be obvious, but there have been at least 2 problems magically solved by doing a reboot.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.