Who still carries unlimited data plans for computers for cheap in L.A., CA, USA?

Hello.

I am on Verizon Wireless carrier for its phone (iPhone 4S and LG Cosmos2) and limited data plans. I was going to get its unlimited data plan, but it is being dumped. $80 for 10 GB per month + $10 per 1 extra GB per month is expensive. :(

Is Sprint the only one still doing unlimited data plans and the cheapest? I was planning to use an unlimited wireless data plan for shared computers, phones, etc. This includes outside of the home too. I can't do T-Mobile because its service is weak in the home area. :(

Thank you in advance. :)

Reply to
Ant
Loading thread data ...

Note that T-mob is throttled after 5Gbytes. I never hit the limit, so I don't know how bad they throttle it. T-mob also eliminated tethering when roaming. This doesn't happen often except in rural areas. You can download what you want on the phone, but no tethered. It seems stupid to me since I can just pull the memory chip out of the phone and put it in the computer if need be.

If T-mob is just weak at home, you can UMA on many of their phones. I don't find T-mob to be a problem in socal, but socal is a big place. I'm sure there are pockets of bad coverage that I never wandered into.

T-mob on the iphone is 2G unless things have changed.

Reply to
miso

Yeah, it is in the rural areas for the very weak/no T-Mobile service. :(

Ah.

Reply to
Ant

You might want to check with current T-mob owners in your area. Sometimes T-mob is better than AT&T. A tower here or there makes a big difference.

UMTS doesn't have a hard distance limit like GSM. With GSM, regardless of signal strength, you need to be within 35km. That is the theoretical limit based on timing, and you get very close to that in real life. But UMTS is similar to CDMA. Its limit is based on SNR, though in urban areas probably capacity is a bigger deal. I don't know if it throttles you down with SNR. The only phones I've owned drop you down to 2G if the

3G is too weak.

There are a few crowd sourced apps for sharing cell phone reception quality, but there just aren't enough geeks using them to make them useful.

formatting link
comes to mind, but there are others.

If your goal is to use once device for home and mobile, i.e. skip out on DSL or cable at the house, forget it. A bandwidth hog on wire is tolerable, but I doubt any wireless company will tolerate such users. Like I said, even T-mobs unlimited plan is throttled.

I'm grandfathered in at $25 for unlimited data, but I don't abuse it.

Reply to
miso

We had T-Mobile until we moved, but it sucks so we went to Verizon.

OK how about using it as a backup if TWC cable goes down which does happen. :(

Reply to
Ant

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.