When Idle, Wireless connection drops---challenging issue

Setup & equipment:

I've Belkin router(firmware updated) & Inspiron 6000 (intel 220BG wireless built in: latest driver). I've ZoneAlram and norton 05 anti-virus ON.

Problem:

Whenever I leave the computer for a while (while downloading stuff) then it looses the interenet connection. I've to manually reconnect through the "Intel Pro Wireless" software or sometimes have to disable & enable the wireless from "my network places".

I've done:

There is no setting in the router that expires the connection when idle & the DHCP on router is set to never expire the lease of the ip address. Basically, I can't fig. it out why does this happen. Some say diable the ZoneAlrm and "Truevector"; however, Truevector won't get disabled caz. "access is denied".

PLZ. HELP ME TO find the right solution....is there any program i can use to monitor the package exchange b/t latptop and router and analyze that.....

Reply to
sherry
Loading thread data ...

try updating the firmware of the router...I used to have a linksys that did the same thing....updated firmware, worked like a champ...

Reply to
paranoid

All I can say is that it's not intrinsic to the laptop or the wireless NIC. I have the same machine & wireless and it's a real trooper - connecting pretty well over a 1000' link which isn't clean line of sight. However, I'm using linux on the laptop and a Linksys router.

Reply to
Derek Broughton

Check that the wireless properties in device manager does not have a setting to turn it off to reduce power consumption.

Q
Reply to
Quaoar

Good call! The NIC is definitely capable of software control like that, as I can manually shut it down in linux.

Reply to
Derek Broughton

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.