What should we do to block port 139 from allowing connections?

Chrisjoy wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@q30g2000prq.googlegroups.com:

Yes. I'd venture a guess that the majority of home network shares are full drive shares, and not just whatever the Windows default 'Shared Documents' actually shares.

Reply to
DanS
Loading thread data ...

On Sun, 11 Jan 2009 08:17:05 +0700, Kayman wrote in :

Deity help them.

Reply to
John Navas

On Sun, 11 Jan 2009 08:16:14 +0700, Kayman wrote in :

Now there's an oxymoron. LOL

Reply to
John Navas

The ass is at your end today. The admin shares are only accessible to accounts with Admin rights. An anonymous connection over the WAN can't possibly have that unless the perp already knows the admin account - in which case what matter if port 139 is open?

But enough of this banter. I'm right, you're talking up the FUD, lets leave it there... :-)

Reply to
Mark McIntyre

I hear ya. I've gone so far as to add DNS entries dumping those hosts to localhost.

Reply to
Bill Kearney

Better to point them somewhere that has a process listening on port 80. If you redirect to your localhost and don't have an http server running, each one has to time out, instead of getting a quick 404.

I've come to recognize the "404" page from the server where I point them, popping up as an ad-blanker on some pages.

Reply to
dold

Aha. Thanks.

Reply to
Warren Oates

True. But since most of them are 'sight unseen' in their operation it doesn't make much difference. I would give some added logging though, but as long as the errant app can't get it's connection I really don't care much about it.

Reply to
Bill Kearney

That's an interesting idea. I just block them entirely but I can see the merit in that.

Yes - it'd be interesting to monitor what exactly they /are/ doing, which I guess this method would allow.

Reply to
Mark McIntyre

John Navas wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

COMODO Firewall is junk.....or at least the uninstaller is junk.

Have you tried to uninstall it John ?

Uninstalling it leaves you with a non-functioning network.

I just spent 3 hours getting it running again. It added a whole bunch adapters in the Device Manager Network Interfaces that can't be removed.

Reply to
DanS

Thanks for the info, I was going to try it on an XP machine but after reading that and the "uninstall" info. on the Comodo forums I will forget about for a while.

A bit like the uninstall of the old versions of ZA.

Reply to
LR

LR wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@bt.com:

Just a little background......

I was a ZoneAlarm user since......well I don't remember, it's been that long. I paid for version 4.something a long time ago, and had used that up until this past October. At that time, I built a new PC, and installed XP w/SP3. The version 4.? wouldn't install 'on this OS'....SP3...I'd used it on SP2 no problems.

I had always used the older version because it was a firewall only, and that's it. It wasn't some all-encompassing security 'suite'. I was actually delighted when I visited the ZoneAlarm web page and saw there was a free version of the current 8.x. The free version though was only the firewall, and not a free version of the security 'suite'.

I had installed that and had been using it since then, and then last week, I noticed the internet was slower than it used to be. Typically I was getting around 3.5mbps d/l speed, but now was only getting 1.8 mbps...about half.

It wasn't until the wife was d/l'g something on her PC, and I was watching over her shoulder when I noticed she was getting the 3.5 mbps on the d/l, and subsequently checking the other PC's in the house, and they were all getting 3.5 mbps, so it was at that point I realized the slowness was only on my PC. I did everything I could to try to resolve the issue....even thinking maybe it was something with SP3.....who knows what changes they put into it. I even selected 'Shutdown ZoneAlarm' from it's systray icon context menu, but as it turns out, doing that apparently does not 'shutdown' ZA, but instead I think it just stops monitoring, as it's process is still running.

I finally decided to try to uninstall ZA, which I did, and that back the speed back to normal. I was initially apprehensive about uninstalling it, since if that wasn't the problem, I'd have to reinstall, and retrain it, and set the manually added rules again.

That was where my quest for a new firewall began, and Comodo was the one I tried first. I installed it, it said to reboot. I did. At reboot, there was no systray icon for it (apps like that typically add a system tray icon), there was a process running though. I figured I'd just run the exe again, as many apps show the config applet when you run the exe again, but nothing showed. I tried some different internet apps that use different ports, no warnings about anything, started up a server app, no warning. Hmmm. Well this does me no good. Uninstall.

The PC would get to the XP loading screen with the progress bar going. Then just freeze. Safe-mode would work. Safe-Mode w/Networking would freeze. That helped me narrow it down to the fresh uninstall of Comodo. 3 different LSP fix utilities later nothing. At that point, I uninstalled the Windows Networking service. Rebooted. Fine. Re-installed Windows Networking, reboot, all is well.

Except for the Device Mangler entries under Network adapters. In addition to my actual adapter, there is:

Direct Parallel WAN Miniport (IP) WAN Miniport (L2TP) WAN Miniport (PPPOE) WAN Miniport (PPTP)

*As far a I can recall*, none of those were there before. I have them all marked as Disabled, but can remove none of them. When I go to unistall, the error message reads.....

"Failed to uninstall device. The device may be required to boot up the computer."

I don't think so, not if they are all disabled !!!!!!

So....that's my story and I'm sticking to it.

(Of course, now for the obligatory digg........serves me right for taking a recommendation from Navass.)

Reply to
DanS

The last paid for ZA I have is one of the 5.5's and is installed on my 2 oldest XP machines. I have no intention of ever installing SP3 on these, one is a 7 year old desktop and the other a 3 year old laptop both of which have SP2 and all the other necessary, desktop has no wlan updates, updates after SP3.

I am trying ZA 8.0.065.000 on Vista at the moment without any problems so would not be surprised if SP3 is causing a hiccup. I even selected 'Shutdown ZoneAlarm' from

Yes, you would have needed to "Open the ZoneAlarm program, go to the OVERVIEW -> PREFERENCES tab, and make sure the Load At Startup box is UNchecked. Close the program, then right-click on the ZA icon and select Shutdown. REBOOT." Then try it.

Were you able to remove all of ZA before the comodo install as I have read it does not like remnants of other firewalls? Uninstall of ZA:-

I have only tried this with the old versions.

Quite a few people on the Comodo forums mentioned this and seemed to have varying success at their removal. Did you try the batch file that they are using to clean the registry entries?

Reply to
LR

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.