Should I block ....

I was looking over last month's web logs, and noticed that an obscure and usually unpopular page had suddenly become one of my top 5 most requested pages. A little research found over 99% of the 10,000+ hits on the page were from one single host in the .ru domain.

I can't imagine why anyone from Russia would want to look at that page. I also can't understand what they're trying to do. There does not appear to be a hack attempt. They only requested the page just over

10,000 times. Actually they requested the pagename with a %20 appended to it, so all they got was a 404 error and really didn't consume much bandwith. Therefore I don't think this was an attempt to know me off the net.

Does anyone know what they might be up to? Should I have my firewall block them?

Thanks,

-Tom

Reply to
Tom Cat
Loading thread data ...

Any address that is not part of your customer base or target market should be blocked. There is no reason to allow access to a web server for the entire world, unless your target is the entire world.

We block most Asian and eastern countries by default since we don't do any business with them - it's cut our chatter down by some 80% - we block entire subnets in foreign countries, which also cuts down on spam.

Reply to
Leythos

Misconfigured 'wget' script, or a proxy server at a school where someone had put a note on the wall "For a good time, goto .time.html" [For non-US - there's an old joke about a small sign in a public phone kiosk with those words - and a phone number like '555-1234' which many phone companies here use for a talking clock reporting the correct local time.]

%20 is a space. Are you saying its like "

formatting link
"? I'd be looking to see where they could be getting the hint that your page even exists - and if that _other_ page has the space error. Doing a google search may turn it up if the referral is not yours.

I'd _also_ look at your page name and see if it couldn't be being confused with some other site - as an example, your site being called 'foo.bar.baz.us' and these guys looking for 'foo.bar.baz.ua' or 'foo.bar.baz.su'.

That's up to you. Do you have any reason for or against serving pages to that TLD?

Old guy>

Reply to
Moe Trin

"Tom Cat" ???????: snipped-for-privacy@g49g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...

Yes, you should block it.

Reply to
smilemac

X-No-Archive: Yes

.....sigh

He we go again. Trying to block certain users from accessing your Web pages is a waste of time. Such a filter can be cicumveneted using an open HTTP proxy server. May I suggest you check out:

formatting link

Masking your IP address is not that difficult to do, and anyone who knows how to configure their Web browser can use one of these proxies. As I have said before, I used one of these last year to circumvent Eurosport's restrictions on who could receive the audio streams of Olympic coverage. To Eurosport's servers, it looked as if I was coming in from the "allowed" area (UK, France, Italy, Germany, Span) and they never had any idea that I was masking my IP with an open HTTP proxy server. As far as their servers were concerned, I was coming from Europe, and they had no idea I was really coming from the United States. In short, if you try to block from certain countries, you are just waisting your time and effort, as these measures can be circumvented by anyone using an open HTTP proxy server.

Reply to
Charles Newman

Leythos, you live in a dream world.

-Frank

Reply to
Frankster

Sure. I'm just happy for you that your customers know the IPs of their target market. They are lucky dudes, I'd say.

-Frank

Reply to
Frankster

Nice comment - please elaborate on that.

Reply to
Leythos

While we understand our target, it's just a base set of rules. While we don't do any business with Africa as an example, we block IP's designated as being in Africa, but that does not mean that businesses in Africa can't reach us through other means or through IP's not in those block lists.

As a simple example, we don't do business with anyone in china, and don't really need too, so we block all subnets we've been probed from that resolve to a China based network/provider.

Reply to
Leythos

In short you don't really understand the reason for doing it. It has nothing to do with blocking people that use Proxy addresses in other (unblocked) locations.

Limiting exposure is what security is about, it's a basic means of protection, it's also along the rule of allow only what is needed.

It's about security - and your method of helping people violate security policy in their offices would not have worked in any of our managed environments - as we pointed out when you were confronted then too.

Reply to
Leythos

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.