Too much wireless traffics?

Hello.

After reading a /. article on

formatting link
I read that too many WAPs causes wireless interferences and problems. It seems like I am having this problem even with the local indoor WAP in the house. I read the comments, and it doesn't look good. I also cannot connect to WAPs to my own and outside WAPs sometimes. Even if I do get connected to my own WAP or someone else's outside, I get disconnected randomly (minutes to hours). I used various brands of WAPs and wireless client interfaces (USB, PCMCIA, and onboard on notebooks) including D-Link AirPlus DWL-120+ USB adapters and Hawking Technology Hi-Gain USB Wireless-G Adapter (Model: HWU54D).

I sometimes see 10-20 (numbers vary) WAPs detected with NetStumbler around this house. Amazing. Does this sound like an wireless traffic jam issue for my case? Any other ways to improve this uncontrollable situation?

Thank you in advance. :)

Reply to
ANTant
Loading thread data ...

Change channels

Reply to
Rodney Kelp

use aluminium-foil wallpaper :) or maybe a 802.11a (5Mhz band, but you will need alu-foil anyway to prevent your signal to spread outside your house-walls)

Reply to
Ali Babba

You could always try an 802.11a AP. They operate on the 5ghz band, and are much less common than the B/G types.

Reply to
Beretta

Isn't that a bit low? I wonder if any retail stores still sell them. Mine is 802.11b from Linksys.

Reply to
ANTant

Already did try various. Currently, it is at 11. :(

Rodney Kelp wrote:

Reply to
ANTant

Low? It's not a revision number really. it's a different standard. 802.11a operates on the 5ghz band, and most are rated at 54mbps (which are the same as

802.11g speeds)
Reply to
Beretta

Ahhh... I wonder how easy to get one from retail stores. I think they only sell B and G these days.

Reply to
ANTant

I've seen a stuff at Best Buy, Circuit City and Staples since Christmas. Tonight I even saw some Pre-G stuff at Staples.

John

Reply to
Neon John

formatting link
paint your walls .. is apparently the solution :)

check the_register, if you are brave enough to believe what they say

Reply to
Ali Babba

The A stuff is still out there. It's not disused, just less people buy it. The more professional setups I have seen use an 802.11b/g AP for clients, and an

802.11a AP for a backhaul link. (AP to AP - kinda like a backbone link)

Whole bunch of 802.11a hardware here:

formatting link
*HPF*Routers (that shouldn't wrap)

Reply to
Beretta

Heh, too much work for painting. ;)

Reply to
ANTant

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.