signal boosting to 500 ft

My neighbour in the Canadian countryside has a Linksys WPC 300N router. His house is 500 ft from my holiday cottage and he is willing to share the wireless access with me. Signal is ok up to 200-300 ft away. How can we extend signal range to my house - mains connection is possible weatherproof half-way... Thanks! Manfred

Reply to
manfred.schmiemann
Loading thread data ...

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com hath wroth:

The WPC300N is NOT a router.

It's a PCMCIA card for a laptop. You need to know is what your neighbor is using for a router. The probem is that it's probably the companion Linksys "Pre-N" router, which does not allow for adding external antennas. Therefore, the best you can do is a better antenna on whatever you're using for a radio, and a better location (in a window) for his wireless router.

If you don't have line of sight, it won't work. You might be able to install a repeater at midpoint depending on what you have have to work with. You would still need line of sight between the repeater and both ends of the link. I've had lousy luck with repeaters, but you might be able to do better.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

The unit in question is probably a WRT300N, as Jeff picked up on. I have one in my hand I just picked up to experiment with. There is not a way to connect external antennas as Jeed also pointed out. Another router would be your best start to this project

Reply to
PDA Man

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.