Sharing WLAN internet connection for LAN - please advise

Hi

What is the best way to share WLAN internet connection for small LAN network?

My ISP is providing signal through WLAN link (I have to use external directional antenna) and I want to share this internet connection among my 2 desktops. Initally I thought to use D-Link router (like DI-624), connect external antenna instead of original one (there is R-SMA connector) and just wire my desktops using built-in switch and forgot about WAN port.

But looking at this wireless router emulator, it looks that is not possible.

formatting link
It routes only between WAN port and/or LAN/WLAN.

Are my suspicions right? If yes, what would be the best way to share my WLAN connection to my LAN?

The option that comes to my mind is to use Windows ICS on WLAN card and connect other computer via Ethernet cards/ UTP crossed-cable, but then first computer (with WLAN card) must be switched on all the time.

Please advise what to do?

Best regards Roman

Reply to
romi
Loading thread data ...

OK, so maybe I'll ask another way. Can Linksys router WRT54G (with Freeman software) handle that? BR/R.

Reply to
romi

Romi,

Is your wifi link connected directly to your PC now? Or is there another piece of equipment in the way?

Chris

formatting link

Reply to
NetSteady

RF Link goes directly from WISP provider (sector antenna) to me (through directional Yagi antenna). I don't have any equipment yet, as I want to plan it before rathen then afterwards :) I'm also considering connecting an AP (client or brigde mode) and then router or hub depending on the model. But what would be the best? BR/Romi

Reply to
romi

I'd go with an bridge in client mode, serving NAT out the wired side. If you can't do that, a workgroup bridge would suffice.

I'd also connect a NAT router behind that, allowing you to expand to more than the 2 computers you want along down the line. It's future-proofing your network.

Good luck!

Reply to
NetSteady

The method depends on how your ISP sets up the system. If the WISP uses a simple bridge and delivers exactly one IP address you will need to add a router with NAT. If the ISP can deliver more than one IP address, then all you need is a hub or switch. My guess(tm) is one IP address, which is designed to handle one computer.

That will work *ONLY* if the WISP supplies more than one IP address. It will convert the router into an access point, which ignores the bridge section. You also might need to disable the DHCP server. However, if your WISP delivers only one IP address, then you'll need the router to do NAT and an access point will not work.

Correct. A wireless router is nothing more than a common ethernet router, with an access point added to one of the LAN ethernet ports. Since *ALL* such wireless is bridging, were bridging knows absolutely nothing about IP routeing, the wireless part acts exactly like another port on the LAN ethernet switch.

If the WISP supplies more than one IP address, then a simple access point will work. Let the WISP deal with the IP's.

If the WISP supplies only one IP address, then you'll need a complete wireless router. Attach the WAN side to the WISP radio. The LAN side goes to your computers with NAT used to deliver multiple IP addresses. If wireless connectivity is desireable, then verify that there's no duplication or overlap of frequencies.

I don't like ICS because it requires leaving the computer turned on to operate.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.