NetworkManager 1.2 debuts with improved security & Wi-Fi usability & MAC randomization

NetworkManager 1.2 debuts with improved security & Wi-Fi usability (or so they say).

Personally, long ago, I dropped Network Manager for WiCD, but maybe the new Network Manager version 1.2 is finally usable?

The official announcement says it should make the list of available access points more responsive and manageable, save energy on mobile devices and laptops, and even improve privacy by MAC address randomization when searching for an access point.

formatting link

They say they adopted RFC7217 for improved protection against tracking:

formatting link

They say the access point list is now maintained by wpa_supplicant and no longer grows insanely large if you travel between access points:

formatting link

One key reason I dropped Network Manager for WiCD was that the command line interface wouldn't do half the things I needed, but they say they've improved it so that's it's actually usable now (they say):

formatting link

They even say they improved the nmcli so that it works well with vpn

formatting link

In the guts, they replaced dbus-glib with native D-Bus support and libnl-route-3 and avahi-autoipd are no longer used.

They say they managed /etc/resolv.conf better also:

formatting link

Reply to
Max Muller
Loading thread data ...

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.