Increasing signal reception

I'n not sure that the question is clear or not. What I am interested in is being able to pick up a WiFi signal that is about 800 ft distant. I'd like to be able to do this using a Toshiba Thrive tablet that runs Android OS (JellyBean). The current signal strenght is in the -85-

90Dbm, thus it tends to be unstable. There are no physical obstructions other than the walls of building where the router is located. The router is owned by a business and offers a guest access.

I have a couple of Alfa 1000mw USB adapters and another USB adapter that also has the RLT8187 chip set. Of course one impediment is the OS which does not recognize the Alfas or apparently have drivers for the RLT8187 chipset.

Any suggestions?

Reply to
Kurt Steinhauser
Loading thread data ...

Google on "Pringles can antenna".

Isaac

Reply to
isw

isw wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@news-roam.garlic.com:

Thanks, got one. Antennas are part of the solution. The rest of the problem is drivers for Android powered tablet and cellphone.

Reply to
Kurt Steinhauser

Suggestion: set up an access point, but configure it in client mode, so that it acts as a client to the distant guest network. Use hardware that supports the better antennas that you plan to use. For example, any wireless router that supports dd-wrt could be used in client mode, but check to make sure it has external connectors for the antennas so you can connect your directional antenna.

Next, wire that device, back to back, with a local access point, preferably running on a different channel or even a different band, for example 2.4GHz versus 5GHz.

Your tablet will connect to the local access point and won't need any special drivers or antennas. Thus, you shift the problem of drivers and antennas to a piece of hardware that more easily handles such things.

You didn't mention whether the business is cool with you acting as a semi-permanent guest. That might be something to nail down before you get too far along.

Reply to
Char Jackson

Char Jackson wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Thanks. I will look into implimenting the notion. The host business provides "guest" access for transients at the facility. I am there on business for 8-10 hours usually 1-3 times a week. I would be easier if I could park closer to the building, but the closest I can park is at the extreme end of the broadcast range of their system.

Reply to
Kurt Steinhauser

Yes. You need to enable USB OTG: As far as I can tell from Googling, the Thrive does NOT support USB OTG. However there are apps that enables USB OTG, some of which require rooting: The problem is how to switch the port from one that allows it to accept power from an external charger, to one that delivers power to your external USB device. The spec allows for both to happen at the same time, but only if the tablet supports it. I haven't blown up any ports yet, but I still would be very carefully before doing this.

For my non-rooted Google Nexus 7 (Android 6.0.1) I use ES File Explorer to read/write USB flash drives with a USB OTG cable. Also, I use it with a no-name mouse. However, I've never bothered to try an external wi-fi adapter, so I can't say if it works, or not.

Once you have that accomplished, you have another problem. The Alfa

1000mw USB adapter probably draws more power than you can supply from the port. Find a lower power (lower current drain) USB wi-fi radio. Then, you can think about drivers.

As you can see, there is only a little evidence that it can be done:

Good luck and please post something if you succeed.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Jeff Liebermann wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Thanks Jeff.

I'll take a look at the links later today. It looks like I should start looking at a different tablet and adapter for what I have in mind. But you never learn anything without first making an effort.

Reply to
Kurt Steinhauser

So, your USB WiFi adapters don't work, and it's not the distance that's the problem?

If you had a working USB dongle, you could build a cantenna. I built a few Cantennas a while back, using USB adapters. Look for the plans online for Cantenna USB. A large diameter was easier to aim, and maintain, a pair of smaller cans, soldered end to end, gave better gain.

formatting link

Reply to
dold

snipped-for-privacy@70.usenet.us.com wrote in news:nfu1kk$qn6$ snipped-for-privacy@blue-new.rahul.net:

The adapters work fine for Windows OS. There is a lack of drivers apparently for Android. I think that distance is the primary problem in that where I park is pretty close to 100m from the signal source.

Thanks for the link. I'll look into it.

Reply to
Kurt Steinhauser

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.