Wi-Fi Security implementation help..

Hi I am very new to Wi-Fi stuff. Recently I was asked to implement Wi-Fi in our premise. hardware that i used 2 nortel WSS 2360 and 17 AP 2330 powered by POE adapter.

I have configured this switch using quickstart and I have only implemented clear SSID, which is no way secure. To work on the security I have to implement either 802.11i, WEP, or WPA type of encryption. However, if i implement this either users have to enter their names in AAA database or use PSK. Which is more suitable kind of encryption for me to use so that i dont have to run to every users educating them about PSK or user id or password. On the other hand I want secure Wi-Fi.

Thanks.

------------------------------------------------------------------------ View this thread:

formatting link

Reply to
morpheus123
Loading thread data ...

thread:

formatting link
While I am sure may posters will decry this, I have found it simple just to use MAC filtering. I was unable to get one not-that-old laptop to recognize my brand-new router's encryption (two other computers in house had no problem with it), and MAC filtering turned out to be the only alternative that would work for me. You just have to decide if this is good enough for you, as I am sure there is software out there that will just keep trying one MAC address after another until it breaks into someone's network.

Reply to
Dave

thread:

formatting link
Mainly, it depends on what you're trying to secure: the value of it remaining un-compromised, and what it would take to redo all from scratch.

IOW, allowing unrestricted access to your lan from anyone in radio range makes it ALL vulnerable.

Your only hope of security for wireless access is WPA. Maybe a RADIUS server would simplify.

J
Reply to
barry

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.