Networking my old Thinkpad - please help

I have an older (1997) IBM Thinkpad 385cd running Win98SE that I would like to connect to my wireless network. I picked up an inexpensive PCMCIA Cardbus but it won't slide all the way in either slot and I can see the sides of the card don't match the modem card that works.

Can any one tell me if I will be able to network this machine and what card will work.

Thanks

Larry

Reply to
Larry Webb
Loading thread data ...

means what your looking for is a straight PCMCIA card (16 bit ), not cardbus. hard to come by wireless nowadays.

you can find some wired ones on ebay.. I managed to, but not any pcmcia that I was able to be sure enough of to buy.

Larry Webb wrote:

Reply to
lars

I have a ThinkPad 380D running WinMe. I use a Belkin F5D6020 ver. 2 Wireless-B PCMCIA card and it works perfectly. My AP is a WRT54GS, which is Wireless-G, but I set it to mixed mode. My connection is a cable modem which runs at about 4700 on the desktop, and the ThinkPad gets about 3000 via the Belkin.

When I first got the Thinkpad, it had Win98 SE and I couldn't get any nic to work. I installed WinMe and it worked right away. If the Belkin doesn't work for you with Win98, you might want to try WinMe (Or some other OS).

Brad

Reply to
Brad

I have 2 of those in the laptop pile. Old, but reliable. I use them once a year for ham radio field day logging using an old Orinoco Classic Silver Wi-Fi card. Works fine. |

formatting link

Look carefully at what you bought. It's probably a "cardbus" type of card which is a 32 bit card. What you want is a "PCMCIA" or 16 bit card.

Just about anything that claims to be a 16 bit PCMCIA card. No "cardbus" 32 bit cards will fit or work. In general, most of 16 bit cards will be 802.11b instead of the faster 802.11g cards. You may have to buy a used card as they are a bit difficult to find. For example, of the 37 cards I found on TigerDirect, not one is a 16 bit card: |

formatting link
|c:367|&Sort=0Whatever you buy, make sure it has Windoze 98SE drivers available. Many current cards do not support the older Windoze versions.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

formatting link
|c:367|&Sort=0> Whatever you buy, make sure it has Windoze 98SE drivers available.

I did buy a 32 bit card by mistake (my brother gets another Christmas present). I'm going to go with the Belkin F5D6020 ver. 2

- purchased through J&R for $20.

Thanks Larry

Reply to
Larry Webb

It would be hard to go wrong with a used Cisco Aironet 350 card, the best PCMCIA 802.11b card ever made. (I'm not biased here or anything like that.)

Google search for "air-pcm352":

formatting link
Cheers,

Aaron

Reply to
Aaron Leonard

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.