Looking for 200mw to 500mw wifi card for dekstop & laptop

Where can I get a 200mw to 500mw wifi card desktop & laptop looking for a card for each. Looking for decent priced cards & which one do you guys reccommond.

Reply to
DJboutit
Loading thread data ...

Planning on making popcorn? If a paltry 300mw card would help, I've had good luck with their 200mw version card:

formatting link
I've seen that Teletronics makes some high power stuff, not tried any of the industrial duty units though. They also have some 2.4GHz amps that go up to a watt.

As a footnote, quite often the right answer is to make better use of antennas instead of throwing more power into the mix.

Reply to
Rôgêr

Where'd that info come from?

Reply to
Rôgêr

Perhaps you and Barry would like to visit this page and scroll down to the part starting off with "FCC rules dictate antenna use".

formatting link

Reply to
Rôgêr

DJboutit ha scritto:

You can improve the coverage of your wireless card using an external amplifier, which can be directly connected to the antenna minimizing the coaxial cable loss. Take a look at

formatting link
to view a WiFi amplifier with 1W output power, and 20dB rx gain. Bye!

Reply to
Paolo

Precisely, the international laws permit to use unlicensed ISM (industrial scientific medical) 2.4GHz band without any authorizations with an output power up to 100mW (20dBm) ERP (effective radiated power). This mean that if your device (access point, for example) has an output power of 17dBm and is connected to a yagi antenna with 15dB gain, the effective radiated power is calculated as 17dBm + 15dB = 32dBm ERP (this means about 1.6Watt ERP) which is 12dB higher than the maximum admissible effective radiated power.

This way, 10mW of output power is illegal if used in conjunction with antenna with gain higher than 10dB (10dBm+10dB=20dBm).

Hamradio operator can avoid this limitation, because they can use output powers up to 10, 50 or 500W ERP (depending by hamradio class and country).

Regards. Paolo

Reply to
Mesfet

Except that they then have other rules allowing higher power for point-to-point use...

Reply to
Derek Broughton

If you look in the various FCC type certification reports and data sheets for assorted wireless contrivances, you'll find that the tx power output tends to vary by modulation type and sometimes frequency. For example, see the tx power levels at:

formatting link
note that the power varies from +15dBm to +20dBm. Also, I'm consistently measuring lower tx power output levels on wireless devices that appear on my bench. The best I've seen is +18dBm with

+10-13dBm being more typical. There seems to be some significant variations in quality control or my junk test equipment has a problem. +17dBm is a bit too optimistic. I suggest you use +15dbm or less for calculations and guesswork.
Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Really? I guess us hams should disassemble APRS, WinLink, Echolink, Wires2, IRLP, and other internet radio connections. Lots of ways that hams connect to the internet.

The basic rule is that only ham radio related traffic may traverse to and from the internet from ham radio. No commerical traffic. It should also not be in competition with commercial services (which include wireless ISP's). However, there's no restriction that says one cannot connect amateur radio to the internet.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Not available. Not legal. Wifi power is around 40 mw.

Barry ===== Home page

formatting link

Reply to
Barry OGrady

Snip.............................. ETSI specify a max power output of 20dBm EIRP (Effective Isotropic Radiated Power} ERP/EIRP Calculator

formatting link
have their own rules, which people interpret how they wish until someone complains. FCC Parts 15.247, 15.203 and 15.204

Rob

Reply to
Rob

its possible topurchase up to 300 mw atm Not legal. correct Wifi power is around 40 mw. normally rather less than that , 5 mw is common some are more

Reply to
Reggy

Bollocks!

Even at present in low power Euroland, it's 100mW EIRP. You think some countries might have different laws perhaps?

Reply to
David Taylor

Not sure about the present rules but France used to be different in it's regs regarding Channel usage and Power Output as well as having different rules for indoor and outdoor use depending on the Channel used.

Rob

Reply to
Rob

I posted it.

Barry ===== Home page

formatting link

Reply to
Barry OGrady

17 dbm.

Barry ===== Home page

formatting link

Reply to
Barry OGrady

But ham radio may not be used to connect to the internet.

Barry ===== Home page

formatting link

Reply to
Barry OGrady

Back in the stone age of packet radio (running at 1200 baud), the FCC was asked for an interpretation of what they considered commercial use and ham radio only traffic. Instead of a concise set of legal guidelines and tests, we got a screwed up mess from a bureaucrat that didn't settle anything and added that hams provide "authentication" for all traffic, which is impossible. Various interpretations of the rules since then have only been slightly better. At this time, doing business is generally interpreted as anything involving the exchange of money, or anything involving an extension of an obvious business activity. Trading radios and computers over the air is legal. Selling radios and computers over the air is not.

My guess(tm) is that searching for vendors on Google is legal, but contacting them for a purchase is not.

Just to muddy the waters, Part 15 proclaims that licensed services have priority of unlicensed operation. Ham radio is a licensed service. Therefore, all you unlicensed Wi-Fi users need to get off the air when us hams are operating. Obviously, this isn't very functional, but that's the rules-n-regs.

Legal hair splitting is one activity that hams enjoy. It provides substantial debate and traffic, for very little effect. I try to avoid it. You might wanna do the same.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Jeff not arguing with you here, but based on the above would it be a 'violation' if you visited say Google given the ads on their search pages? Truthfully that would seem pretty restrictive to me. But I'm not a ham so my knowledge on the subject would fit on the sharp end of a sewing needle with lots of room left over.

fundamentalism, fundamentally wrong.

Reply to
Rico

You are right. I should have said that open access is not allowed.

Barry ===== Home page

formatting link

Reply to
Barry OGrady

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.