is 802.16d a mesh?

does anybody know if 802.16d protocol inherently a mesh or does it have to be reconfigured? would Click (used by Roofnet) be able to do or does it need a new OS? michael

Reply to
i802v16
Loading thread data ...

No. There's nothing in 802.16d that requires a mesh network topology. It can be point to point, point to multipoint, or mesh depending on the MAC layer firmware installed.

Roofnet is not 802.16d WiMax. It runs 802.11b/g.

MIT Roofnet:

formatting link
you're looking into building your own protocol encapsulated inside

802.11 packets, see MadWiFi-stripped:
formatting link
Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

jeff (and anybody else): do you know if anybody's tried a pure mesh using 802.16? is there anything like MadWiFi-stripped for 802.16?

• can you glue a WiFi to WiMAX? like using WiMAXs for backhaul traffic and WiFis as hotspots?
  • do you know if there's a SSCH for WiMAXs like the virtual WiFi M$ is experimenting with? many many thanks, michael
Reply to
i802v16

I've had no personal experience with WiMax mesh networks. However, if you search Google for "WiMax mesh", you'll find plenty of universities doing tests, companies doing trials, and the usual science fiction product announcements.

I don't know.

Sure. Both WiMx and Wi-Fi encapsulate 802.3 ethernet packets. Just put two back to back wireless access points and connect them with an ethernet cable. No big deal.

formatting link
doesn't find anything on this for WiMax or 802.16.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

many thanks!!

Reply to
michael

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.