inexpensive LAN (not WAN) bridge

I manage a simple wired ethernet WAN on a volunteer base, and would like to add a 802.11b/g bridge to let me connect with my laptop using its wifi, rather than to plug into one of the hubs.

The bridge would connect through an ethernet cable to one of the hub/switches.

However, from what I've found, most inexpensive bridges have only one ethernet socket, and want to use it to connect to a WAN through a modem, not to a LAN. They sometimes let you use it to connect to a LAN, but only if they are set as a remote -- which only works if there is already a base station, in which case I wouldn't need this bridge.

So any suggestions to get such a bridge to work in conjunction with a purposly internet-deprived, wired LAN, without paying too much?

Reply to
Loading thread data ...

|why not just use an Access Point?

Because until your message thought Access Points required WAN connection because I was misled, and after your reply I did some more searching.

That may be the answer that I needed, thanks. Not quite as portable as an Airport Express, but one of those will probably do.

Reply to

why not just use an Access Point?

Reply to
Robert Jacobs

if you really don't need tiny some of the g routers are rebated right now to the $20 area uplink like a switch, disable dhcp, fixed ip and its now an AP/switch

Reply to
bumtracks

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.