help !! can't setup wep .. going nuts

hi all .. i have spent the last 5 hrs trying to setup wep security. my laptop is a dell inspiron 700m with an on-board intel 2200bg wireless adapter. the router is a belkin 802.11b wireless/4 port, model # is F5D6231-4_v2. running win xp, sp2

i have done the same steps over and over and even gone thru many help forums but i cannot find a solution to my unique problem.

i connect wirelessly to the router. factory default settings. i go to the encryption settings and there are 5 options (disable, 64 manual, 64 auto, 128 manual, 128 auto) the difference between what i see and what the manual says is that when i write a passphrase (64 auto or 128 auto) i do not see any keys being generated. the boxes where hex keys should have been visible are all greyed out. so the only option is to enter a key manually

then i go to wireless network properties, select my ssid, click on properties->association, select open and wep, uncheck "setup the key automatically" and then enter my key

the wireless network is disconnected. however when i do a site survey my ssid still shows as an unsecured wireless network. if i go back to the wireless properties ->association the settings are back to open and disabled

when i login back to my router ( i was disconnected earlier), the encryption is back to disabled.

this is truly bizzare. i am ready to toss the belkin router since i think it is the problem

tia

-S

Reply to
polaris8030
Loading thread data ...

On 2 Aug 2006 02:06:24 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote in :

1. Make sure all devices have the latest firmware.
  2. Enter WEP keys manually in _hex_.
Reply to
John Navas

Hi John .. there has been no firmware update for either the router or the wireless adapter. The OS is XP SP2 I can only enter keys in hex manually. For some reason, the form where I could enter the passphrase and have the router generate keys, has the key fields greyed out, so nothing is seen in those fields. i have tried rebooting the PC, reseting the router and as many perms and combs I can think of, nothing seems to work.

thanks

-S

John Navas wrote:

Reply to
polaris8030

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com hath wroth:

Make sure you're using Intel Proset 10.x. Much better than XP Wireless Zero Config or earlier versions. Unfortunately, the F5D6231-4 only supports WEP. You really should be using WPA as WEP is easily cracked.

This is not the currrent problem but methinks you should know about this... There's a problem with WEP. Different vendors have different ideas on what constitutes converting an ASCII WEP key to a Hex WEP key. If you use an ASCII key, chances are high that it won't work because of different ASCII -> Hex conversions. There are also some routers that generate garbage for the Hex key if you use strange ASCII characters. Stay with Hex keys and it will always work.

Don't bother. Setup the WEP key manually.

No clue on that one. Sounds like you're stuck on defaults. Can any other settings be saved or is it just the WEP configuration?

Did you save the settings? You probably did, but I thought I would ask anyway.

I have the exact same Belkin router sitting in its box on a shelf in my office. I don't have the heart to inflict it on a customer. As I vaguely recall (not sure), it had a problem with the internal web server as the web pages had too long an expire time. Instead of reading the web page from the router, the browser was reading from the browser cache. Clear the browser cache or force a refresh with . Try with a different web browser or different machine. If that's not it, then it's simply not saving the settings, which implies a broken Belkin router.

That's only one reason why mine is on the shelf. I suggest you buy something that does 802.11g and WPA encryption.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

You should always configer your wireless access point using a cable connection.

Reply to
Axel Hammerschmidt

On Thu, 3 Aug 2006 01:34:08 +0200, snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (Axel Hammerschmidt) wrote in :

Good idea, but "always" is a bit strong. ;)

Reply to
John Navas

thank you all for the posts. the comment on wpa duly noted and i will look for a replacement router with wpa capability.

but ....... the real culprit turned out to be the browser .. firefox

few minutes ago i decided to use IE instead and lo and behold the "greyed out" boxes are no longer there in the router web page. it was a breeze to setup wep.

i am so used to using firefox that i did not think that it could be a source of the problem.

amazing.

-S

Jeff Liebermann wrote:

Reply to
polaris8030

snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (Axel Hammerschmidt) hath wroth:

There's nothing wrong with configuring a wireless router or access point via wireless. I do it all the time without any problems. However, don't try to update the flash over a wireless connection. What happens is that some routers disconnect the wireless connection before the flash is done uploading, resulting in turning the router into a brick.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

On 2 Aug 2006 20:15:57 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote in :

Indeed, because it's almost certainly not a Firefox problem -- 1.5.0.5 has no such problems here.

Reply to
John Navas

You might have scripting disabled with NoScript for the router setup?

Q
Reply to
Quaoar

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.