Download via wireless

[POSTED TO alt.internet.wireless - REPLY ON USENET PLEASE]

You didn't mean:

Would I download a 5GB or even a 100MB file via dialup?

That would seem to make more sense. Even though there aren't many 5GB downloads around. ;)

I've done it many times, even with CD images quite a bit larger than your

100MB. What's usable is a matter of personal opinion and requirements.
100MB can be downloaded over ISDN in less than 2 hours, and over dialup overnight. That's good enough for me most of the time.

Of course. We can hypothesize all sort of special conditions that might dictate one service or another. But you made a flat statement, which presumably applies to the general proposition, not just special conditions.

I suggest you take your own advice. Your original flat statement had no parameters.

Of course not. But that doesn't keep sailing from being a viable option for a trip of that length given some other parameter.

Reply to
John Navas
Loading thread data ...

I've done big Microsoft downloads over slower pipes. All it takes is proper tools and a bit of patience.

Reply to
John Navas

No, but that is more a function of direction, east coast to west coast is uphill and into the wind. West to east is a bit easier, prevailing wind at your back and way more downhill miles.

fundamentalism, fundamentally wrong.

Reply to
Rico

How old are you and how long (time) does that take you? Needless to say, for a non-pro, I'm impressed.

Reply to
Rico

Prolly ought to ask in uk.rec.cycling or somesuch, but there's a route from from Morcambe Bay to Whitby which is very attainable in a day - ISTR people do it as an overnight trip occasionally. . My cousins also take part in a triathlon from Kintail, which is a from the west coast, a swim down a loch, then a cycle to inverness, on the east coast. Mark McIntyre

Reply to
Mark McIntyre

Way older than I like to admit! :)

My average for a typical long ride was/is roughly 15 mph (making for a nice

100 mile day), faster when pushing (or shorter distance), slower when sightseeing.

Thanks. It helps to have a really good bike, in my case Bianchi and Trek.

Many of my favorite day rides have been in the Napa valley. The Callistoga-Napa loop is about 65 miles (round trip). Add on some valley crossovers and side trips to special wineries for a total of 80-100 miles (as measured by my bike computer), heat permitting. :)

Sadly, my knees aren't what they used to be (thanks to years of intense sailing dinghy racing), so I'm more of a 50 mile person these days. :(

Reply to
John Navas

The tool that Microsoft offers for the downloads that I was referring to is the Microsoft Transfer Manager, there are no other tools.

It permits a maximum of 2 concurrent downloads.

There are business critical situations where a download will not arrive in time, patience is not an option.

I'm done, you're arguing for the sake of arguing your point that dial up is fine for many purposes. It's totally unusable for many more too.

David.

Reply to
David Taylor

Late to this thread, ftp won't get it for your needs?

Reply to
Rico

No, because the protocol that MS use in this instance is not ftp. MS Transfer manager is the only tool available and it's a pain.

David.

Reply to
David Taylor

David Taylor hath wroth:

Is that Message Transfer Agent?

formatting link
like the above URL shows some tuning suggestions.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

I've never noticed MS FTM before

formatting link
that only work with certain MS sites? It doesn't seem to invoke from IE for a 5MB download from Microsoft, or another site.

I downloaded something huge from Microsoft using the Real Download Manager. This was an add-on for IE, and I just clicked the download link as normal, and Real did the download. It worked over several days as I connected and disconnected the dialup normally. By the time it finished, I had actually forgotten that it had started. I used to have a link to Real Download, even after it wasn't obviously offered, but that has gone away.

I have also been using the Sun Download Manager, which works with ftp or http links.

formatting link
Back to the original WiFi point... Wifi has been as reliable and exactly as fast as my wired link, 54g providing 650KBps from my "3mbpS" rated cable subscription. But, my laptop is within good range of the WAP, and mine is the only wireless device.

Reply to
dold

No, Microsoft Transfer Manager as used by the MSDN site (and others), it's nothing to do with Exchange and is not the MTA in that context.

Reply to
David Taylor

No, it's specific to certain MS sites.

Reply to
David Taylor

Haven't had to use it yet -- please give me an example.

Reply to
John Navas

I already did when I said the MSDN site as one example.

Go and download Windows Vista and say "hello" to the Microsoft File Transfer Manager.

Here's another

formatting link
David.

Reply to
David Taylor

How about something that doesn't require registration?

Reply to
John Navas

Why? That's irrelevant, I can't help that you have no access to the sites that use (and force the use of) FTM! MSDN Subscriber downloads is a pretty important part of the Microsoft download system.

These sites exist and that's all you wanted to know. :)

David.

Reply to
David Taylor

I actually just wanted to verify that it's really mandatory. If that's not worth it to you, then I'll simply wish you a nice day.

Reply to
John Navas

I don't need you to verify that it is mandatory. I already *know* that it is!

:)

David.

Reply to
David Taylor

Correction: You *claim* that it is.

Reply to
John Navas

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.