Detecting a wireless SSID

Taking a moment's reflection, Robert Jacobs mused: | | Then you have something setup wrong in your wireless connection.

Yes. That would explain why it connects every time with SSID enabled .... not. Disabling SSID broadcast is outside od spec, plain and simple. Disabling it can, and does, break things unnecessarily.

Reply to
mhicaoidh
Loading thread data ...

Taking a moment's reflection, Robert Jacobs mused: | | Well, that could be true, but I for one would just troubleshoot it.

... and what would you find given that all the networks that are causing the issue are hidden, and you don't know they exist?

Reply to
mhicaoidh

Just WTF is so sacred about bottom posting? It's a real PITA after you've read 20 messages in a long thread to scroll all the way to the bottom of a LONG post with all the quotes just to get the latest one. Who the hell made you the king, anyway? Take your personal rules and shove 'em where the sun doesn't shine.

Reply to
Grizzly Bear

Good on ya' !!!! Go for it!!!

Reply to
Grizzly Bear

Reply to
Grizzly Bear

It has a great deal of advantage, given that the natural order for reading and discussion is right to left and top to bottom; and if each response immediately follows the text that it refers to, there is an obvious relationship.

Articles which put the response entirely above the quoted text of the article they are replying to 1) assume the reader already knows what the original article said, and 2) that the reader can tell exactly which part of the response relates to which part of the original. Both are bad assumptions in general, but are much more so in a technical discussion than in a "chit chat" exchange.

Perhaps you need a better new reader then? Or maybe you just need to learn a few simple commands. For example, I can skip to the bottom of an article by pressing "Shift" and ">" keys together. Your news read can probably do the same thing.

You have a disadvantage though, because my news reader is built in emacs, which I've been using for more than 20 years... so the various commands have long since been learned by my fingers, and I don't even begin to think about how to do things like that.

Now that you have learned not to top post... learn to trim excessive quoted text too!

That way at least *your* articles won't be hard to read like the ones you refer to where it's necessary to scroll all the way through a pile of useless quoted text just to read a one line (and usually stupid) comment!

Reply to
Floyd L. Davidson

Ever hear of a concept called trimming? Kids these days...

Reply to
William P.N. Smith

That's okay... none of us were born old and wise; if we get there it is almost always very slowly.

Somebody changed my diapers once upon a time, and I don't mind changing yours... ;-)

Different people post for different reasons, obviously. If you want to enjoy yourself by annoying people, top posting insults and not trimming excess text is a good start (though you'll eventually find there are better ways).

On the other hand, you might want to study effective writing styles for Usenet. You'll find it opens a much wider range ways to enjoy Usenet. You can shift between learning, helping, and annoying rather than just being a one track recording!

And nothing you've said changes the fact that Richard was indeed correct.

Reply to
Floyd L. Davidson

"Robert Jacobs" top-posted:

But you still haven't explained _how_ you'd troubleshoot it. Care to enlighten us? Randomly change the channel and see if that helps? Dig out your spectrum analyzer?

Reply to
William P.N. Smith

1. Learn how to post in a newsgroup! ALL THE RULES!!!
  2. Learn how to express yourself!
  3. Try again! But not before you finished 1. and 2.

Thomas

Reply to
Thomas Krüger

One short term:

*plonk* (Put Lamer on Killfile) :-)

Thomas

Reply to
Thomas Krüger

Taking a moment's reflection, William P.N. Smith mused: | | But you still haven't explained _how_ you'd troubleshoot it. Care to | enlighten us? Randomly change the channel and see if that helps? Dig | out your spectrum analyzer?

In fact, that was the last we heard from him. Perhaps he's off troubleshooting? ;-)

Reply to
mhicaoidh

CAN I BE ON THAT KILL FILE THING TO?? PLEASE !!!! PLEASE!!!!!! PLEASE!!!!!!

DAMN, TOP POSTED AND ALL CAPS........ IM A LOOSE CANNON.......

Reply to
DLink Guru

Nope, just watching all the rantings. As I said before, I will continue to not transmit my SSID and be just as happy, if not more, then all you that transmit yours......

Reply to
DLink Guru

your a funny dick , its recommendation not law , wake up to your self

it appears he did quite well enough to get under your skin

I doubt you are able to make Grizz do as you suggest , so what are you going to do now ?

Reply to
atec

and we lose how ? missing your sparkling re pate' ? I doubt that :_)

Reply to
atec

Taking a moment's reflection, DLink Guru mused: | | Nope, just watching all the rantings. As I said before, I will continue to | not transmit my SSID and be just as happy, if not more, then all you that | transmit yours......

Do what you want, I don't have to use your network.

Reply to
mhicaoidh

Exactly....

Reply to
DLink Guru

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.