802.11g/n bridging routers?

Hi, I've recently moved into a duplex apartment and I would like to put ethernet ports into 2 rooms and have the backplane be 802.11g (or preferably n or mimo, or even a proprietary 108mbps connection). However, none of the wireless 4-port routers I've seen bridge. All I've seen are expensive bridging APs that you slap onto switches. I think the multiple boxes thing is aesthetically unpleasing, and I would like to just have one box that does it all on each floor. So the question is, which 4-port wireless routers can bridge? I have found none so far. I may just end up getting the damn APs and switches, the combo price is not that much more than the routers given how cheap switches have gotten, but it just means more wall warts and it's unpleasant to my sensibilities. OTOH upgrading the 'backplane' means not having to throw the switch away...

TIA,

- Matt

Reply to
hennessy
Loading thread data ...

Use a wireless router as a wireless bridge by:

• turning off DHCP
  • connecting to wired with a LAN port instead of the WAN port
Reply to
John Navas

Look at the CompUSA brand 802.11g router. This has the most flexibility of any router that I have looked at, including running in repeater mode.

The best news is the price. Earlier this year it was on sale for $9.99 after rebate. The firmware is rock solid.

Mike Schumann

Reply to
Mike Schumann

The various 3rd party firmwares for the Linksys WRT54G/GS/GL routers will let you do this. These packages also run on some other routers, notably some from Buffalo. I've used Sveasoft, DD-WRT and OpenWRT successfully in similar applications.

Reply to
rblake.gg

Just be sure not to get a v5 WRT54G if you plan to run third party software.

Reply to
Bubba

Thanks everybody, but being the lazy person that I am, I've decided to go with a couple of Buffalo WDS-capable routers (WHR-HP-G54, WHR-G54S). I woulda gone with the CompUSA, but I bought one MIMO router for the 'master' and one 'standard' g and it took like 5 mins to setup properly.

Here's hoping the final n draft includes mandatory support for bridging/meshing/repeating...

Reply to
hennessy

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.