60MB Internet Service

Charter tells me that they will soon roll our 60mb internet service in my area. I have a Linksys WRT54G wireless router and an ordinary network card.

1. Will my hardware create a limitation on my ability to get a full 60mb service?
  2. Would I see a huge benefit over my current 10mb service?

Thanks! Scott

Reply to
Bozena
Loading thread data ...

How often are you able to saturate your current connection? Most sites you'll connect to can't offer you data at anywhere near what you currently have.

I have a 7Mb/s DSL circuit and only machines on my own ISP's internal network can supply data at that rate.

Reply to
Bert Hyman

Wow, 60 Mb/s...

Like Bert said, it will only be as fast as whatever the remote end is spitting out.. It would be a huge benefit downloading P2P with a lot of seeders though.

If your internet is going to be coming in at 60 Mb/s, that WRT54G is going to be obsolete. You are going to want to upgrade to 802.11n.

I'm happy with 8 Mb/s -- for now, anyway...

Just curious, what is the upload speed on that fire hose? :-)

Reply to
bc20

Even with DD-WRT firmware a WRT54G is only good for about 25Mpbs. Look using a spare computer with two network cards and installing pfSense

formatting link
for a lower power solution good for about 70-80Mpbs check out the
formatting link
for one of there SBC (single board computers) running pfSense embedded.
formatting link
To get that speed over wireless you'll have to try a N WAP/Router. You can read around and find out if some of the combo router/wap's will be able to do 60Mpbs if an all in once device is what you need. Personally I would look into the pfsense box with added WLAN card or with a router acting as a wap. Keep big file downloads on the LAN and use the wireless for casual browsing and such.

Adair

Reply to
Adair Winter

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.