1KM Partial Line of Sight Network

Hi everyone

Me and a friend want to establish one network where we share files and even an internet connection.

We're about 1KM apart, im on the 6th floor he's on the 4th. I can see his building and part of his house...

the question is what kind of antenna would I need and what hardware (routers bridges etc...) would we need on both sides?

Thank you.

------------------------------------------------------------------------ View this thread:

formatting link

Reply to
kaynine
Loading thread data ...

1km isn't much of a challenge if you have line of sight. Apparently, you do. Typical antennas would be 12-24dBi dish and panel antennas. Plenty to choose from. For example:

You can also use a yagi antenna, but I don't like those.

Hardware is a bit of a problem because the selection is dependent on what you have for existing network hardware and what speeds you're expecting. There's also a question of how many computers are going to be on the remote end (the one that does NOT have the internet connection). One machine is easy. More than one is a bit more complicated. There are way too many options here. Narrow the options by supplying some details, numbers, and how much money you wanna burn on this exercise? That's a real consideration as it's sometimes cheaper to purchase DSL at your location than to pay for a pair of wireless bridges and antennas.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.