PPTP issues from China

We currently have a standard PPTP VPN setup here in our US office, and we have several users who roam around and need to be able to VPN into our main office.

Many times our roaming users are on the other side of the world. Even though they are on high-speed connections, they tend to get disconnected and/or not be able to connect at all.

It's not an IP scheme issue (we fixed that) - it seems to be simply a poor quality connection issue, probably becuase they are so far away.

When here in the US, the VPN is much more reliable.

Is there anything in particular we can do to improve the quality of our PPTP VPN connection?

Are any particular VPN products more "forgiving" about connections from around the world?

Thanks in advance for any help!!

Reply to
Kremlar
Loading thread data ...

In general, I wouldn't recommend using a PPTP connection (especially from China) simply due to the VERYPOOR? encryption. You don't want to transmit sensitive data over an MPPE "encrypted" connection.

No, you don't.

Really!

Using OpenVPN with AES256 may be a bit harder to set up, but improves security greatly. OpenVPN is much more reliable anyway. I have a PPTP connection "running" to my company 400km away from me, which keeps breaking down and running slowly all the time, while an OpenVPN connection to my server (500km away) runs perfectly fine with a higher encryption (AES256).

Regards, Michael

Reply to
Michael Ziegler

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.