Can my employer "hear" my SKYPE phone calls

You DO realize that ALL phone calls made thru cellphone towers in the US are recorded and KEPT FOR SIX MONTHS, by law? Right? So if you are cheating and he gets a whiff, don't be shocked to hear your conversations played in Court.

Reply to
f/fgeorge
Loading thread data ...

If your employer is the nsa, yes, they can hear everything.

If your " long distance friend " is hezbollah, yes, the nsa can hear everything.

If you have any association whatever with radical liberal groups, yes, the nsa, homeland, interpol, cia, everybody can hear everything.

Any questions?

Kenny G.

Reply to
Anonymous
[SNIP]

Yes, the question makes sense, the link is the IMEI, in GSM 'phones anyway.

The fix is to use SIM cards from _different_ companies. For example, here in Oz, get the 'phone and the initial SIM card from, say, Optus, then get a pre-paid SIM from Vodafone.

As far as anyone knows, your mobile service is supplied by Optus, only _you_ (and Vodafone) know about the other SIM.

Yes, a court could order a search on all the 'phone companies call databases and identify all calls made to/from your handset, but if that happens you're already in trouble.

Cheers, Gary B-)

Reply to
Gary R. Schmidt
[snip]

Call logs, yes. All actual voice streams..? I doubt it. The amount of storage space required would be astronomical, given the sheer number of calls made daily.

Please tell us the law in question and provide a link to a verifiable source.

Ivor

Reply to
Ivor Jones

I suspect the concern here is that her hubby will (starting from the serial number of the handset) get a list of all SIM cards (and associated accounts and phone numbers) ever used in that phone, then get the call detail records of those accounts.

I have no idea how likely that is to work in practice, though it's certainly technically feasable.

Reply to
William P.N. Smith

Save yourself all the cost and trouble and ask hubby for more foreplay, if that's what this is all about.

Reply to
POKO

In the US, with most carriers, you can usually switch phones any time you like and, unless you have a problem, the company will never notice the IMEI.

Reply to
Al Klein

Not true. One end of a skype connection is a mouth and the other one is an ear. Both do not offer, in the current versions, adequate encryption.

If you're lucky like me and have your own office with solid walls, shutting the door and windows might help a little but not much.

I'm thankful to work in a small company where Tetrinet is accepted as recreational software. And our productivity cannot be complained about. Unfortunately, the spirit of corporate america is slowly creeping into Good Old World companies, too.

Reply to
Nomen Nescio
[snip]

Surely you should be working while at work, not using recreational software..?

Ivor

Reply to
Ivor Jones

Many cell phones clear the call list when the SIM is swapped.

Reply to
DevilsPGD

What if her name isn't Susan, and/or the company is wrong?

Finding identifying an individual that made a usenet post isn't that hard (Virtually all providers keep some sort of posting logs that can tie a post to the poster), but going the other way around is virtually impossible.

Reply to
DevilsPGD

Yes, the IMEI doesn't _matter_, but it's still important, and it's not dependent on the SIM, only the handset.

The IMEI is what you use to deactivate a handset when it is stolen, and we went through hell here getting the various providers to play nice and agree to honour each others IMEI stops.

All the GSM exchange systems (5) I've seen in Oz and Europe *record* the IMEI on all transactions (call, SMS send/receive, status change, etcetera). And this information can be very important, back in 2000 I was pulling call data out of the Bureau of Meteorology's PABX system for the Coronial Inquest into the deaths in the Sydney-Hobart Yacht Race.

Cheers, Gary B-)

Reply to
Gary R. Schmidt

Hi Wolfgang,

What I'm doing is innocent enough in that I'm not at all worried that I'm a terrorist or a bad guy that the NSA would find interesting. I just have personal reasons for personal privacy, the same as you all do too. I don't have to tell everyone at home, not my Mom, not my Dad, not anyone what I'm doing outside of home, and that's really all I'm asking for.

I'm just looking for basic privacy.

I think what I'll do is buy a pay as you go sim card and slip that in my regular phone when I want to make a call. I don't want to have a second phone as it would arouse suspicion when its found whereas a second sim card is simple enough to keep hidden from the family eyes.

From what everyone is saying, the serial number (is that the same as the ESN or the IMEI number?) can tie the two sim cards together, so it's better if the second sim card comes from a second company for that extra level of abstraction.

I'll also ensure the phone doesn't save the calls via the settings.

I can't imagine there aren't millions of people who, like I, desire privacy so that only we are privy to what phone calls we make. (That's why I don't want to make the call from work but the problem is I can only make the calls during the work day).

Is there any other advice for people like me who simply want to talk to someone privatly who is three states away?

Susan

Reply to
Susan

You never talk to anyone personally from the hours of 9 to 5? Not even on your breaks? You work 100% of the time and don't ever talk to friends?

Susan

Reply to
Susan

Personally, I doubt my current employer cares whether I talk to a friend a few states away or not, especially since I can easily do it at lunch and I'm not spending more than a few minutes in the call.

My problem is I don't want the employer to have to PAY for that phone call so the suggestion of a pre paid phone card works as well only it's not as general a solution as the second sim card because it doesn't work from the parking lot like a phone does.

I seriously doubt my employer would "confront" me over a few phone calls but maybe your work environment is vastly different than mine so I'm not making a judgement call on that.

All I want is a bit of privacy ..... just like you do. Susan

Reply to
Susan

Do I know you? I haven't been there for almost a decade. How do you supposedly know this?

Susan

Reply to
Susan

I don't work 9 to 5, but if by talking to people you mean making personal phone calls, then no I don't. I may do so on a break, but I would not use company phones or computers to do so.

Yes I talk to friends, but not when I am working. Maybe your job is different, but I am too busy to waste my working hours on personal matters.

Ivor

Reply to
Ivor Jones
[snip]

Then as you have repeatedly been told, don't use company equipment.

Ivor

Reply to
Ivor Jones

Get off the phone, get back to work and stop being a homewrecker.

Reply to
Bill Kearney

I don't believe this for a second. We work with people 12 hours away, some are 9 some are 14 hours difference to our time zone.

If you want to talk, don't do it at work - that's abuse of your companies network services and in the US it can get you fired. Don't think they can't detect it, it's a bright light when watching the firewall.

When I work overseas I call my wife and she takes the call at 3AM her time (depending on my schedule), I take the calls at my sleeping hours. If you care enough about the person you can do the same.

Reply to
Leythos

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.