Can my employer "hear" my SKYPE phone calls

I don't want or need your sympathy.

No, your customers are, in the money that they pay you to do work for them. Remember work..?

Good for you.

Good for you. I work for money.

So the income from your customers doesn't fund these lines..? Where does the money come from, then..?

Ivor

Reply to
Ivor Jones
Loading thread data ...

It's 7:43am, I've spent 7 hours working today. I intend on putting in another 4-8 hours before sleeping, and likely another 4-8 after that, depending on when I get to bed and when I get up again.

Again, if that is all you get out of your job, my condolences.

I enjoy my job, the money is just a nice bonus. In fact, I've been doing this job with this company since before I was hired by participating in the company's public mailing lists (performing everything from support to QA duties, although far more informally before I was being financially compensated)

Sure -- But since we need them for business purposes, we've got 'em. Using the excess capacity for non-business purposes doesn't cost anyone any additional money.

So again, what cost do our customers (or does my employer) pay when I make a local call from my office phone on my lunch break, or when I surf the web either during off hours? (And again, we're unmetered -- Our monthly bills are the same whether the lines sit idle, or they are utilized)

Reply to
DevilsPGD
[snip]

Stop feeling sorry for me, I keep telling you I don't want or need your sympathy.

While they are not being used for business purposes, they are losing money. A plane sitting on the ground rather than in the air carrying fare-paying passengers is not generating revenue, neither are your lines unless you're using them for work.

Well good for you. But if they're not being utilised for business purposes, they are effectively losing money. Which your customers will end up paying for, one way or another.

Regardless of any of the above, let's get back to the original question, that of privacy of personal communications over business systems. I don't care if your employer gives you free phone calls, internet access or both - if you're using them for personal use at work, you are *not* entitled to privacy on them. If you are using equipment that does not belong to you, then the owner of that equipment is entitled to know what it is being used for, and to know what is being transmitted/received.

Don't like it..? Don't use business equipment for personal use.

Ivor

Reply to
Ivor Jones

But unlike a plane, which costs money to carry passengers, our lines are there whether they're begin utilized or not. The costs are the same either way.

In the case of my employer, law doesn't grant me any privacy. Where I live (which is a different jurisdiction), the law does grant me some privacy. Throughout much of the developed world, you have a lot more rights.

*shrugs*

Either to their own.

Reply to
DevilsPGD
[snip]

No. The lines cost money to rent. Therefore your company makes less money when they are not being used. So if they are being used for private purposes, they are effectively losing money.

Exactly. And if you remember, the OP was asking if their *employer* could listen in while they were using *work* equipment.

Ivor

Reply to
Ivor Jones

Glamour marketing group

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dear my best friend,

TAIWAN Glamour marketing group.

formatting link
formatting link
I'd like to offer you an ideal business opportunity!!

We are one of specialized and rapidly developing maufacturer of

USB Skype phone Web Cam

USB Card reader

Flash Card

iPod accessories

MP3 & MP4 Player

Mobile phone accessories

and are enjoying an excellent reputation through Eight year's business experience.

Company Outline:

1.We providing global buyers and supplies with expert services, including Product information collection Market analysis Procurement Product design Packaging and marketing Translation O.E.M & O.D.M

1. Excellent qualities,Competitive Prices,Satisfied Service, Experience and efficiency.

2. We are also very pleased to act as an Internation Purchasing Office for you:

provide the service as below: Q.C, Purchasing, Shipping, Information ,ect

Best Regards

Tracy

E-mail: snipped-for-privacy@GMG888.com

MSN: snipped-for-privacy@GMG888.com

formatting link

Reply to
tracy

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.