Phone Leasing

Hi all, My name is Mike Rubinkam and I'm a reporter for The Associated Press (for proof, just go to Google News and type in my last name). I am writing a story about people who still lease their telephone from the phone company. If anyone here still leases (I realize that's highly doubtful) or know anyone who does (most likely older folks), please contact me at snipped-for-privacy@ap.org. I'd love to interview that person for the story. Thanks in advance! Regards, Mike

Reply to
Mike
Loading thread data ...

Most people who are still leasing phones are probably doing it because they never thought about it. Most likely those who have had telephone service for a very long time like over thirty years with no changes to their service. Very often older people who have had that same old black dial phone in the telephone nook for ages and ages. Most don't realize that they're paying AT&T $3 or so every month for the "privilege" of using out-dated equipment when they could likely go down to Target/KMart/Superdrugmart and pick up a touch tone phone that could do more things than their 40 year old dial phone for $10 or maybe even less.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - remove NONO from .NONOcom to reply

Reply to
Joseph

But after you get to be a certain age, there is no such thing as "change for the better". In fact, I think for many folks over the age of say 75, that is an oxymoron. to those folks, $3 a month is a pitance for the peace of mind gained by not being forced to have something different than what they are used to.

Reply to
T. Sean Weintz

Have you ever tried to find a phone at Target/KMart/etc... which is solidly built such that it doesn't slide off the table when someone sneezes, and if it does fall is more likely to damage the floor than land in about 1000 pieces? These are issues that mater to some folks.

Reply to
David Ross

On top of that, even if you don't drop it, even the best only seem to last a few years. Phones have to be dependable! But we old-timers already know that, don't we ;) And don't even get me started on trying to find an American-made (or at least non-communist made) telephone today.

Reply to
Bill H

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.