FCC Approval for Automatic Transfer Switch

Hello Everyone,

I've searched and searched, but I just can't seem to come up with a solid answer. I've asked quite a few people that I consider knowledgeable about FCC Part 68, but I've got some VERY mixed answers to my question. I'm hoping someone here can at least point me in the right direction - even if you can't clear up the murky waters.

We're designing an automatic PSTN Failover device. It's basically a DPDT relay connected to a micro-controller. The micro-controller is connected to a PBX, and if the PBX Fails, the uC switches the relay so that a different PBX can take over the line. This is a BIT simplified, but the relays (I believe) are the only important part of the equation anyway.

What we need to know, is what FCC rules will govern our device? Does it even have to be FCC approved since it doesn't have any electrical circuits in the PSTN line?

Any help, or pointers to FCC rules would be HIGHLY appreciated.

Thanks for your time, Ben

Reply to
bbawkon
Loading thread data ...

Ah, the wheel again. Several PBXs back in theMitel SX days had power failure boxes that do exactly what you want, and must have been certified. Somebody must still make them. have you looked at the Viking PF-6A ?

TerryS

Reply to
Terry

Thanks for your reply TerryS,

I actually did look at the Viking PF-6A for ideas - good thought. Unfortunately, from what I can tell anyway, this device is a bit different than ours. A) It CONVERTS lines from loop start to ground start - meaning that it IS the endpoint B) It monitors the line for use, and only switches during NON-USE - again, meaning that it does have SOME actual electronics in the path.

Thanks again TerryS - if you see this differently than I do, please comment. I aprreciate your time to reply!

Ben

Reply to
bbawkon

The PF-6A can be programmed to not convert and is switchable upon command. The not switching back until line is idle, if a problem, may be disabled on order by Viking ? Cheaper than inventing one. How about

formatting link
IIRC, there are OEM modules that are Part68 compliant on one side, and you can do anything you want on the other. I believe I have seen them not to long ago in a catalog from a large electronic parts distributor. Also in one of those toy electronic kits that you assemble, the one for making funny noises on the telephone line had a pre assembled interface.

A really expensive idea is to get a faxswitch "Stick" for each line, do not apply power, and manipulate your lines at the default output. It passively complies with Part 68.

TerryS

Reply to
Terry

Hi Ben - You didn't exactly say if you've looked through FCC regulations, Part 68, which apply to "Connection of Terminal Equipment to the Telephone Network". Numerous other documents are referenced by Part 68 and that's where you'll probably find the real answers for your questions. Here's a link to get you started:

formatting link
Good luck, pal... You're getting mixed up with the government now!

Reply to
Al Gillis

The infamous "Part 68" _will_ apply. it is a device 'directly connected' to the PSTN. Is there a 'failure mode' of the relay (e.g. damaged insulation) that 'could' result in 'something else' (e.g. the relay 'power' circuit) getting on the phone wires?

You can probably find 'certified' relays -- every modem that has an aux jack for a phone handset has a relay performing -exactly- the same function as your device -- switching an incoming line between two different CPE.

Reply to
Robert Bonomi

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.