Demarcation point

Is the telco required to have a network interface box at the point of demarcartion? My house has nothing, the line comes direct into the basement. It isn't even grounded and has no lightning protector. Qwest refuses to do anything about it unless I pay for a NIB to be installed. What about grounding? Shouldn't they be required to ground the line in accordance with NEC?

Reply to
J Kelly
Loading thread data ...

If it was there before 1/1/84 it is grandfathered, they don't have to

put in a demarc. If they do come and do service, they are suppopsed to put in a demarc, and will bill you extra for the trouble.

--Dale

Reply to
Dale Farmer

So if the line just happened to develop a problem, they would probably install one? The reason I want it fixed is that lightning keeps wiping out the phones. Several jacks show signs of arcing from previous lightning strikes. Seems like a dangerous situation to not have it fixed.

Reply to
J Kelly

Sounds like you are in an older building. Many older structures are "grandfathered".

I'm a Verizon Special Services field tech and when I was doing regular POTS I&M work our "marching orders" were to install protection and NIDs as we came across unprotected & non-NID installations.

So, to answer your question, they won't just come out and install a NID & protector just because you don't currently have one. If they are there for another reason, like a service order or a trouble report, then they should bring the installation up to current spec's.

John

-- John Dearing

Reply to
John P. Dearing

Yeah, I'm going to install a Polyphaser, but it sure would be nice to have one outside the building. I can't do that now since the line comes into the basement from underground.

Reply to
J Kelly

Put one in yourself ?

TerryS

Reply to
TerryS

Whoa. Maybe grandfathered as to a demarc. But telcos have always been required to put lightning protection at the building entrance. I can show you a lot older than 11/84.

TerryS

Reply to
TerryS

BSSP said put in lightning protection at each house. Not everyone followed that practice.

--Dale

Reply to
Dale Farmer

John,

If Qwest isn't helping, try contacting your state Public Utility Commission or Public Service Commission and explain your problem. They always get action for me or my phone customers every time... and the action is FAST. I have the numbers for NY and PA, other states you have to find on your own.

Charles

Reply to
Charles P.

See:

formatting link

Reply to
David Lesher

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.