RFID's Security Problem / Are U.S. passport cards and new state driver's licenses with RFID truly secure?

RFID's Security Problem Are U.S. passport cards and new state driver's licenses with RFID truly secure?

By Erica Naone Technology Review January/February 2009

Starting this summer, Americans will need passports to travel to Canada, Mexico, Bermuda, and the Caribbean--unless they have passport cards or one of the enhanced driver's licenses that the states of Washington and New York have begun to issue.

Valid only for trips by land and sea, these new forms of identification are a convenient, inexpensive option for people who don't need to travel by plane. U.S. passport cards, which were introduced in July, cost about half as much as a full passport, and the extra cost of getting an enhanced driver's license rather than a regular one is even lower. Enhanced licenses have been available in Washington since January 2008 and in New York since September; other border states, including Michigan, Vermont, and Arizona, intend to offer them as well.

But not everyone is convinced that the new IDs are a good idea. The passport card and the enhanced licenses contain radio frequency identification (RFID) tags, which are microchips fitted with antennas. An RFID reader can radio a query to the tag, causing it to return the data it contains--in this case, an identification number that lets customs agents retrieve information about the cardholder from a government database. The idea is that instant access to biographical data, a photo, and the results of terrorist and criminal background checks will help agents move people through the border efficiently. RFID technology, however, has been raising privacy concerns since it was introduced in product labels in the early 2000s.

Meanwhile, although experts say that some RFID technologies are quite secure, a University of Virginia security researcher's analysis of the NXP Mifare Classic (see Hack, November/December 2008), an RFID chip used in fare cards for the public-transit systems of Boston, London, and other cities, has shown that the security of smart cards can't be taken for granted. "I think we are in the growing-pains phase," says Johns Hopkins University computer science professor Avi Rubin, a security and privacy researcher. "This happens with a lot of technologies when they are first developed."

formatting link

Reply to
Monty Solomon
Loading thread data ...

[Moderator snip]
[Moderator snip]

Motorola Speed Passes have had RFID for perhaps 10 years now. And, a few customers have had their Speed Pass info read at the gas station by crooks.

Reply to
Sam Spade

While I do have RFID concerns I'd like to clarify the following paragraph

To pick nits, Americans will require a passport or an enhanced driver's license to return to the USA. This is a requirement of legislation passed by Congress and not by the other countries.

Tony (A Canadian)

-- Tony Toews, Microsoft Access MVP Tony's Main MS Access pages -

formatting link
's Microsoft Access Blog -
formatting link
Fleet Manager
formatting link

***** Moderator's Note *****

I wonder what will happen to those who forget? Do they have to live in the customs shed until their bona fides can be confirmed?

Reply to
Tony Toews [MVP]

On Sat, Jul 18, 2009 at 2:36 PM, Tony Toews [MVP] w rote:

A nit pick of mine too. Too often I get asked (for some reason people think I'm the flesh and bones version of Google) "Do I need a passport to go to Mexico?" or something similar. The answer is "No". What they don't ask is "Will I need a passport to reenter the United States?"

John (An American who keeps up with the important things and not the latest on the Michael Jackson saga)

I have often wondered. It's so easy to enter Mexico. Every single time I have ever driven into the country I'm greeted by a border guard who is simply sitting on his stool waving people through. I even once had passengers in my vehicle not realize we crossed a border as it was seamless. I have no personal experience with it, but I'm told if you're traveling on I-10 through El Paso it's easy to accidently enter Mexico. The description I have heard is it appears you have to exit I-10 to stay on I-10 otherwise you're dumped into Mexico.

Given those above examples I have to assume someone, somewhere will unknowingly leave the country, have no passport, and have a difficult time reentering the country.

John

Reply to
John Mayson

Anyone got the specs on the enhnanced licenses? I know RI went with facial biometrics and it's encoded on a 2D barcode on our licenses.

Reply to
T

Actually, yes. There may be fines in addition to significant delay.

For those who need information, look for Western Hemisphere Travel Intitiative on the Customs and Border Patrol (Department of Homeland Security) Web site. This is the program that enforces the changes made in law (Intelligence Reform and Terrorism Prevention Act of 2004) that eliminated the oral declaration of US citizenship to re-enter the United States from Canada, Mexico, 17 nations and territories of the Caribbean region, and Bermuda at land border crossings or sea ports-of-entry.

formatting link
summarizing re-entry at air, land, and sea port.
formatting link
for land and sea document requirements
formatting link
for the 17 nations and territories of the Caribbean region

***** Moderator's Note *****

The last time I visited Lake Champlain in Vermont, there were signs at the boat docks that directed boaters to call certain numbers if they were entering the U.S. - it seemed like a fairly informal system. Is that still allowed?

Reply to
Adam H. Kerman

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.