Re: [telecom] 911 service center troubles [Telecom]

In one area that straddles a state border, cell phone 911 calls

> often end up to the wrong state. But the 911 dispatchers simply > quickly 'transfers' the call to the proper center, so it's not a > problem. I don't know if all 911 centers can do this call transfer, > but with cellphones I assume it's quite easy for a distant tower in > another jurisdiction to handle the call.

With the police log I see in my hometown newspaper there seem to be quite a few 911 calls that come in, perhaps from mistakes or propagation freaks, that come in for other jurisdictions and they simply get the information and pass it on to the PSAP for the proper jurisdiction. The other jurisdiction may be just another county, a city not too far away, Indian police, or the highway patrol. I think they probably just call the other jurisdction by landline or go on the other jurisdiction's radio frequency if it's close enough. The city police and sheriff's office recently combined their answering points, so they no longer have to transfer calls from the city to the county or v.v.

-- Wes Leatherock snipped-for-privacy@aol.com snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com

Reply to
Wesrock
Loading thread data ...

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.