Re: Hello, You're in the Dead Zone / Region's Cellphone Users Still

Hello, you're in the dead zone

> Region's cellphone users still have problems making, keeping connections > By Matt Viser, Globe Staff | January 29, 2006 > You're driving along, talking on your phone. It could be something as > mundane as trying to determine which cereal to pick up at the grocery > store or as crucial as trying to seal a business deal. > Then come the unexplained silences, the fragments of talk, and the > sudden realization that the other person's just not there. > You've been trapped. In a cellphone dead zone. > Even as cellular phones have become necessities of modern life and > companies have tried to improve service, it's still possible to find > yourself in a dead zone in Boston's western suburbs, according to > residents and a survey by Globe West. > "Our area is full of cellphone dead spots," said Stephanie Price, a > 33-year-old Cingular Wireless subscriber who lives in the Waban > section of Newton. "There is literally no way to drive to my house > and not drop a call." > To examine how reliably the phones work these days, a Globe West > reporter took comparable phones from the four companies serving > Massachusetts -- Cingular Wireless, Sprint Nextel, T-Mobile USA, and > Verizon Wireless -- on a 150-mile tour of the area. > Calls were made on each phone from the same location within a > one-minute period, and a record was kept of whether calls went through > clearly on the first try, had an obviously weak connection, or failed > to connect after three attempts. > A total of 480 phone calls were made from 120 locations ranging from > Newton to Boylston and from Norfolk to Lincoln. > Sixty-two of the calls, or about 13 percent, didn't connect on the > first try. >

formatting link
I note that wherever I go in RI, Verizon seems to have very good coverage. But the article has obvious falsehoods, like former AT&T towers not talking to Cingular towers. It's because Cingular and AT&T used differnt protocols, one was CDMA the other was GSM. They're transitioning to all GSM at the moment.

By the way -- I note that Boston.com has their odious side after all. They let you get three pages in before asking for registration, and then block cut/paste so BugMeNot won't work.

Reply to
T
Loading thread data ...

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.