Latest threads in General Telecommunications Forumshow only best voted threads

Subject Author Posted Replies

FCC Takes a First Data-Gathering Step TV Channel Sharing [telecom]
By Davina Sashkin, CommLawBlog, February 9, 2014 | With the FCC's blessing and help from the wireless industry, two | L.A.-area TV stations set to temporarily cohabit a channel. | | An essential...

Verizon denies throttling NetFlix and Amazon AWS [telecom]
Verizon this week denied taking advantage of its recent net neutrality victory to throttle traffic and punish bandwidth-heavy services like Netflix. "We treat all traffic equally, and that has not...

FCC Proposes Expansion of Text-to-911 Mandate to ALL Texting Service Providers [telecom]
by Tony Lee, CommLawBlog, February 7, 2014 | Comments sought on how and when text-to-911 should be required | across-the-board, including by interconnected "over the top" | services | | Pity the poor...

Aereo sets expansion into San Antonio as legal battle presses on [telecom]
By Josh Wein, FierceOnlineVideo, February 3, 2014 | Aereo plans to begin offering service in San Antonio, Texas, while | the legal theory underpinning the company's operations awaits | review by the...

FCC Invites Experiments To Test Effects of All-IP Telephone Network. [telecom]
By Paul J. Feldman, CommLawBlog, February 3, 2014. | Commission seeks data for critical policy dialogue; coming changes | may particularly affect smaller carriers - and their customers. | | Major...

Caller ID information wrong [telecom]
Background: I have two landline telephone numbers available here. One is thru Time Warner, the other is a netTalk VoIP line. Also a cell phone, which I have had for a number of years (with the same...

[telecom] Flappy Bird is the embodiment of our descent into madness
Flappy Bird is the embodiment of our descent into madness We'll do anything for a quick fix these days -- so long as it's free, shamelessly manipulative, and comes with a high score counter. by Nick...

Stopping Illegal Robocalling [telecom]
readership: I'd like your help. Perhaps together we can get an infrastructure in place to stop illegal robocalling. The background: You may remember that in 2012-2013 the FTC (NOT FCC) held a contest...

T-Mobile Sparq phone with no SIM card - options? [telecom]
My sister just gave me a T-Mobile Sparq Cell phone; it came with everything but a SIM card. I'd like to know what my options are, so here are some questions I hope T-D readers can answer - 0. Where...

: Re: Aereo Update: And the Question is . . . [telecom]
I guess I am at a loss to really understand some of this. It the olden days, TV stations made their money by selling advertising time. And, they still do seem to carry plenty of advertisements! It was...

[telecom] Coca-Cola Laptop Breach A Common Failure Of Encryption, Security Basics
Coca-Cola Laptop Breach A Common Failure Of Encryption, Security Basics By Robert Westervelt January 27, 2014 Coca-Cola is notifying employees, contractors and people associated with its suppliers...

[telecom] Starbucks iOS app leaves user data in the clear
Starbucks iOS app leaves user data in the clear Usernames, e-mail addresses, passwords, and location data among exposed data. by Jason Inofuentes Jan 16 2014 Ars Technica The most popular mobile...

[telecom] How Google Calendar can tip off your boss that you want a raise
How Google Calendar can tip off your boss that you want a raise Potential privacy leak "feature" continues to take some users by surprise. by Dan Goodin Jan 23 2014 Ars Technica It's a feature that...

[telecom] Apple.com does more to protect your password, study of top 100 sites finds
does more to protect your password, study of top 100 sites finds Which sites allow "123456"? Study names/shames the best/worst password policies. by Dan Goodin Jan 24 2014 Ars Technica Apple,...

[telecom] Four reasons to keep that landline at home
Four reasons to keep that landline at home CONSUMER REPORTS JANUARY 26, 2014 Given that you have a cell or smartphone to stay in touch with the world, is there any reason to have a landline? The short...